Chapter 3

In a miraculous turn of events, Justin had managed to convince both Shaylee and her mum to let him stay over. Of course, that was without telling Carol that they were sort of dating, but there was knowing glint in her eyes all the same. But Justin had stayed over plenty of times before, and Carol refusing would be acknowledging their relationship, a conversation that neither mother nor daughter felt like having.

For once, Justin didn't complain about Shaylee's single bed, instead taking it as an opportunity to wrap himself around her as they watched the rolling credits of a movie. He pulled them both into a sitting position, resting against the headboard, and handed her the mug of tea that her mum had sent her. She'd even prepared one for Justin, who'd dutifully gulped his down Though it wasn't exactly tasty. He gaped at her when she chucked hers out of the window.

"Hey, that's not fair. I took my medicine."

Shaylee rolled her eyes. "I've been abstaining from Mum's concoctions for a while now, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm actually getting better.

"Really? I thought it was when you saw that fancy doctor in Oxford."

"The private one who costs a fortune for a consultation? No. All he did was try to get Mum to shell out cash on more pills." Shaylee wasn't keen with the suggestion, and Carol screwed up the prescription and tossed it in the bin. It was during that night Lucas had made one of his appearances and told her the tea, amongst other things was poisoning her. Moreover, he claimed that Carol knew exactly what she was doing. Shaylee didn't believe a word of it, but humored him and began phasing out the tea, as well as the oatmeal. She did miss the scalp massages, though. They just weren't the same without the primrose oil. The headaches, however, had disappeared almost overnight, which was worth the sacrifice, in her opinion.

"And your mum doesn't know, right?" Justin asked.

"No. Keep it that way?"

"I mean, I didn't want to jinx anything, but you do seem a little better. Well, did, until the pollen came out."

"Well, there you have it. Sometimes, mothers do not know best."

"I guess you know your body."

After seventeen years, Shaylee hoped so. "So I'm just, erm, trying different things." Like getting rid of Mum's special bath salts. How Lucas knew so much, she'd given up on finding out. His advice seemed to work, wherever it came from. While the thought her mother could be doing this with full knowledge of the effects made her stomach twist, and left a foul taste in her mouth, she felt miles better, so pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind and latched onto Lucas' advice.

"If it makes your life easier, then I say go for it."

Shaylee rolled her eyes. "Thanks for your approval. Let's go to sleep?"

Justin flicked her bedside lamp off, gave her a quick kiss, then squished her into his chest as they settled in for the night.

Shaylee knew Lucas was there. Nestled in blankets, she could still feel him and saw him through her closed eyes. "Do us a favour and piss off," she said, voice barley above a whisper.

"I wouldn't get too close to him, Shaylee."

"Oh what do you know!"

"It's going to make everything complicated."

"Things wouldn't be if you left."

"I'm coming for you tomorrow." His promise had her stomach churning and sent a violent shiver through her. She wiggled closer to Justin and squeezed her eyes shut, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding when Lucas left with only the slight rustle of clothes. 

A/N - A shorter one again, I will develop a sense of consistency for you!