Chapter 4

Conversation was stilted the next day at lunch. Mainly because people kept staring. It was usual for Justin and Shaylee to have their own conversations between themselves, but it seemed that everyone was trying to listen in, trying to figure out their relationship. Shaylee herself wasn't sure what to do. Because to her, things were normal, save from the few kisses and subtle touches from Justin keeping her in a constant state of fuzziness. She let him drink far too much of her coke because of it. Aside from that, and the fact she could only have a cheese salad because all the egg sandwiches were taken, it was a good – great – day. Until it wasn't.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me." Justin's equally buoyant mood had just sunk.

"Hmm?" She looked up from their tangled hands to see Lucas. Again, he walked as if he owned the school, his stance showed he wouldn't be taking 'no' for an answer today.

"Let's go somewhere else," Justin said, gathering his things.

"He'll follow us."

"What does he want?"

"How should I know?" She drained the rest of her coke, dusted the rest of her ready salted crisps off her clothes, and stood. Lucas nodded as he passed her, heading for the doors towards the back of the cafeteria.

"You're going to go with him?" He spoke loud enough for Lucas to hear.

"Yeah. Get it over with, you know?"

"Fine."

She did a double take. "Really?"

"You'd go even if I said no. Easier to give you what you want." Damn right. "But," he silenced them both as he pulled her in for a lingering kiss. She smiled against his lips.

"I think you proved your point," she said, as she glanced over her shoulder at Lucas, who was looking at her the way a parent would a misbehaving three year old. "I'll text you later." She marched her way over to Lucas, latched onto an elbow and pulled him outside, pushing the door open with more force than necessary. She wasn't one for subtlety. She dumped her scuffed bag on the springy floor, and with her arms folded across her chest, waited for him to make the first move.