April 24 @ 10:00 A.M.: Iris

"Every woman needs one ugly outfit just to prove to her man she can turn the sex off whenever it pleases her. I guess this is yours, homegurl." Rena pointed at my beautiful beanie with one judgmental finger while prying Million Year Picnic's creaky door open. "Just you wait. One day I'll be skinny, and I'll wear ugly clothes, and I'll look cute in them!" 

"Rena! Hey, you're already here! What a coincidence! And how about a good morning, first, before you launch into your famous outfit criticising mode?" I stifled a chuckle and ran towards her, beaming. I sensed Jayden slow his step, falling behind with our luggage.

He and Rena did not see eye to eye at all. 

"I choose to use... My Love Coupon!" I squealed at my best friend, squeezing her into one of my feel-good special Iris clutches. "My Love Coupon is good for one free hug and kiss at any time. Never expires. And I mean never."

"That coupon won't save you from what's coming." Rena sized me up critically. "Listen up, homegirl. The only thing that looks good on you right now is that overpriced smallest handcuff in the world." She gestured towards my engagement ring. "That messy bun you are probably hiding under there screams tracksuit and flip flops. At least you had enough common sense not to put them on. What's with the nerdy beanie? I mean, I love David Tennant from Doctor Who like any other girl, but that's just taking it a bit too far, don't you think?"

"Umm..." I shifted from one leg to another. "I am having a bad hair day. Soo, I was kinda hoping this outfit would turn it into a mediocre hair day."

"Don't tell me. You've tried some weird color again. Platinum Violet?"

I shook my head for "no."

"Platinum pink-violet?" Rena asked as her second guess. "Lilac? Blue purple?"

"Uh-huh." I giggled at her attempts. This was getting interesting.

"Oooh, I know! White Lavender! You've always wanted to try that one but of course, it's incredibly hard to pull off and you totally messed up!"

Before I could answer, Jayden and the bags finally caught up with me.

"Rena." He came to stand by my side and nodded towards her dryly, his hands buried deep in his jeans pockets. "I didn't expect to find you here. Iris had said we needed to make a detour from our trip to open up the store and handle the early customers since you would not be able to make it. I thought—"

"Jayden." Rena mimicked both his dry stance and the tone of voice, stiffly bowing towards him like a samurai of old.

For a moment, I imagined her saying: "I demand satisfaction. I challenge you to a duel!" And then Jayden would accept, tossing our luggage away with the words: "Someone please hold this for me while I duel this fool." Then both my fiancé and my best friend would unsheathe their swords with grim faces.

I exhaled in relief when Rena said something else instead. "Not much of a mystery, Jayden. I'm early. End of story. I suppose that is easily comprehensible for you?"

I could literally hear Jayden grit his teeth with that remark, so I quickly took him by his hand. When it came to Rena, we had an agreement he would always play nice even if they literally couldn't stand each other.

It was kind of a same agreement I had with him when it came to his mother.

"Works fine for us." Jayden ran his fingers through his curls in a somewhat jittery motion. "Doesn't it, Iris?" He leaned towards me in a possessive fashion, similar to how he had done on the train, and wrapped his hand around my waist. "The only thing is, you might have texted Iris, at least. We would have gone directly to the airport had that been the case."

"The only thing is, I have done just that." Rena squinted her eyes at him.

I stared at her incredulously. "What? No. You didn't text..." I reached for my phone and smacked my forehead after seeing her name next to the mini light-green conversation bubble. "Oops. You did. Sorry." I offered Jayden my best imitation of puppy eyes.

He let out a small growl. "Iris. Your head is a bit too in the clouds these days." His voice softened, then. "Listen. Don't take this the wrong way. I am just looking out for you. I am saying this for your own good. You should learn to be more careful with phone messages. I mean, something important might come up and you would miss it. You do understand why I am telling you this, don't you?"

"I know, sweetie. Sorry. Geez. If I were any more forgetful, I could plan my own surprise party!" I weapon-used my apology-hug, unsure whether it would work.

"It can happen to anyone." Rena stood firm and adamant, her stare laser-drilling a pair of holes through my man. "You're not late for your flight, are you? Just a little time lost, and a romantic ride for two on the Boston subway. Awwww I'm sorry, I forgot you aren't overly fond of the subway, are you, Jayden?"

Jayden clenched his fingers into fists, walking away from the shop entrance, pulling out his own cell. "I think I am going to call my father's chauffeur now."

"Did I say something wrong?" Rena asked, blinking innocently.

"Rena, you promised you wouldn't go after him anymore!" I shook my head at her, pulling my beanie even further over my eyes as if hiding from her manners, or the lack thereof. "Today on the train..." I paused, recalling the thumbs-up Mr. Ruffles Bunny had given me. That was a good omen for my and Jayden's relationship. "Even a complete stranger who saw us together was rooting for us. For our relationship and the next step we took. Why can't you?"

"Let's see..." Rena mockingly placed a thumb and a forefinger on her chin. "Maybe because I'm not a complete stranger? Because I can see what kind of mess you are getting into? Aargh! There is just something about that guy that sets me off so much, I swear!" She hissed through her semi-closed lips, glancing at phone-locked Jayden, who was, I hoped, out of earshot.

"Well, you are wrong. He asks about you often. About how the shop is doing." I was determined to rectify Jayden's image in Rena's eyes. "He even offered to aid you financially. But shhh, don't tell him you know. He's very self-conscious about these things."

"To aid me... financially?" Rena doubled down in laughter. "That does sound like something Jayden would say. Thanks, but no thanks. We are doing a bit better. That comic book signing event helped somewhat, and the bank approved another loan. We might even be able to pay it back if things keep up like this. I swear, that straw-headed boy-toy of yours is only good for his..." Rena performed a series of back and forth hip movements. "And for..." She patted her wallet next.

"Come on. Don't be like that, Rena! We talked about this." I let out a sigh. "It's not why I am with... I know you wouldn't take money from Jayden. Neither would I. I did not accept his proposal for his cash—even though both you and I know we could use some—but because I love him. I want him and all his flesh."

Rena looked as if she were going to vomit on the "flesh" part, so I was mighty relieved when she held her tongue.

"He accepts me the way I am, and he is very sweet to me. He is even making me a better person, pointing out the things I should change, improve. We took a giant step forward in our relationship just now."

"Took him quite some time, and all because of his mommy dearest. Mother Knows Best! Doesn't she?" Rena added with a smirk. "She must have got hit pretty hard when she heard. Poor woman. Her only child, her precious Richie Rich, dating someone whose social level is so below his own. However will her fragile heart cope with it?"

Before I could open my mouth, Jayden returned.

"The chauffeur is waiting for us just around the corner," he said curtly, looking at no one in particular.

"Finally, some well-deserved comfort for my favorite couple! Great news all around!" Rena waved her arms theatrically, before pulling me into her signature she-bear hug. "Do have fun in Cancun, you crazy kids! After all, why wouldn't you? You've got money to spare. Jayden's dad is inviting!"