February 25 @ 9:33 A.M.: Iris

Squelch. Squelch. Squelch. My soaked "Talk Wordy to Me" wintry socks squished in my boots as I dragged myself to my favorite seat.

There was a reason #BOSNOW was a hashtag. Snowmageddon be damned! Bostonian Winterwonderland my ass.

Winter here was like an unsupervised toddler, and I had seen more than my fair share of those on the Red Line. It did whatever the heck it wanted, when it wanted, and left a big mess in its wake.

And to top it all off, I got car-slushed today. 

I had been a picture of calmness, walking down the street when a passing vehicle plowed the stagnant water along the curb, tossing it all over me! My rainbow umbrella had gone up instinctively like Captain America's shield but to no avail. I got soaked head-to-toe. The dumb-ass driver could have avoided the deep puddle, I was sure of it.

As I plopped down on my usual Red Line seat, I took stock of my state of wetness:

- Moist, heavy coat—check.

- Doused Gryffindor scarf—check.

- Water-soaked Gryffindor mittens—check.

- Soggy lioness hairdo—check.

On the bright side, at least my "ALL U CAN EAT" undies were dry.

Lucky for me, I had a spare pair of "Bookmarks Are for Quitters" socks in my heavy coat pockets. I just had to get to the safety and warmth of our shoppe and change. Thirty more minutes, and it would all be fine.

Gotta look on the bright side of it all.

My phone screen flashed all of a sudden.

Speak of the devil...

Overslept. Sry. Runnin' a bit late.

Overslept? My best friend Rena, who would always show up early and whoop my ass for tardiness, had overslept

This whole day had gone topsy-turvy.

Oh, fine. Fortunately, I had my own key to open the shoppe. I groped for it in the key pocket of my coat.

It wasn't there.

Wrong jacket!

Well, there went my dream of dry socks! And...

I guess, once off the train, I would have to wait out front in the cold some more.

My fingers stampeded over the screen furiously, producing a click-click-clickety-clack sound.

!!!???!!!

How did you even oversleep?

That would be a first!

Her reply came with a wall of text. Various strings of sentences battled emojis on my screen:

I got drunk the night before, all right? I have the mother of all hangovers.

I also have some news about the shop, and they ain't good.

Oh, and talking about not good: I heard you're NOT getting published after all ?!

You HAVE to tell me everything as soon as I get there.

I typed out a single line.