3 | Marriage or Death

Start from the beginning

No answer as my Uncle was dedicated to ride into the dark night. There was no point of me to say anything as I was instantly put back in my place. "You'll wait here until I return." I wanted to convince him but what would I waste it for? I'm locked here one way or another. I standed there for a while, until I heard painful screaming. My Uncle's screaming. I quickly reached the window and climbed down on the ground. I carefully get before our castle to see a bunch of men, all clothed in white robes and masks on their faces.

Except for their leader who was sitting on his horse. My heart stopped. It was him. Sheriff of Nottingham. I recognized him and my horse friend immediately. When I watched him with that evil smirk on his face I really regretted I didn't let him drown in the afternoon. "Join us...or die." Sheriff grinned at my Uncle, who was tortured by few of the men in the mask. "Never!" My Uncle yelled out, struggling in pain. "Your choice." Sheriff smirked, pointing at his men to kill my Uncle. I couldn't let this happen. "NO! STOP!" I yelled out, running on the scene. "Caroline? Is that you?" Sheriff turned his head sharply, his eyes locked onto mine.

"Leave my Uncle alone! He haven't done anything to you!" I shouted at Sheriff as I saw my poor Uncle in arms of these men in the mask. "Caroline, run back in the castle! Quickly!" My Uncle shrieked in pain. "Silence! So now that's your uncle? He and entire group of Devil's worshipers are the biggest trouble makers in the region. Your uncle here will be executed for conspiring against the crown and his head displayed at the gates of town as a warning to others. I would advise that you choose your next words very carefully, little girl..." Sheriff sniggered.

"My Uncle is no devil worshiper, that is a lie! It's a lie! You can't do this, you can't!" I panicked, trying think of solution. "I saved your life today back in forest, so spare his one in return!" He laughed about it, leading his horse to be closer to me. "I don't forget kindness or treachery. But saving my life, that doesn't change the fact that your uncle is an enemy." He said, jumping down from the horse to face me with a menacing smirk on his face. "But...because you saved my life and I'm feeling generous tonight...I'll give you one chance...I'll spare his life if you agree to something..."

"Anything! Anything, you ask!" I quickly acted without even realizing what I'm getting myself into. "That's good, because I wanted to give you a choice. You can save your uncle...but only if you agree to be mine. Mine, as in you shall be my wife." He gave me a sinister smirk, bringing his face closer to mine. "So, little Caroline, what do you say?" I remained speechless, my head spinning. "Caroline, no!" My Uncle yelled out but Sheriff's men punched him to be silent again. I couldn't believe it. This must have been a nightmare.

"Y-your wife..?" I repeated, trembling. "Your trembling voice is music to my ears, not that confident anymore, are we?" He grinned. "Yes, my dear. If you will be my wife, I will spare your uncle's life. That's the deal." My eyes were full of horror and terror about the entire situation. Be wife of such a monster? "I must admit, you are very cute when you're scared. But come on, you can save your uncle! He looks very important to you. So, what's it gonna be? You're not going to lose your uncle, are you? Are you, my dear Caroline?" He chuckled, running his finger down my face.

I looked at my Uncle and then back at Sheriff. I had no choice. I gave up. "If you spare my Uncle's life..then...then I will...I will marry you." I spoken my decision, holding back tears. "How wonderful, darling. Don't be nervous, I only sometimes bite." Sheriff chuckled with his eyes glittering from excitment. "So you accept my offer?" I nodded my head in heartbreak and fear. "Very intelligent decision. But I want to hear it properly from your trembling lips." Sheriff said, pointing to one of his men to give him dagger, which he brought to my Uncle's neck, holding it up against his throat.

"You know that I could still kill him even if you accepted. But I'm a nice man, so I'll spare your uncle...because I respect you so much. Just one little marriage and he will walk away unharmed." Sheriff said, bringing the dagger closer to my Uncle. "I'm a reasonable man, and I only wish we could do this the easy way. It's just one more thing before I let him go, promise me that you won't ever leave me. Promise me, Caroline, or he dies." He continued to smile at my fear, making sure his eyes are glued on mine.

"You have my word, I'll stay with you...forever." I answered with shaky sob as I couldn't bare the pain of my Uncle anymore. "I'll let him go this time, but know that if you ever try to leave me." Sheriff lowered the dagger, a wicked glint in his eye. "I'll kill him without hesitation. Do we understand each other now, my dear Caroline?" I nodded with pleading eyes, fighting my tears. "Yes, yes, I promise on my life but please let him go now!" Sheriff nodded, letting my Uncle go. "Good girl. Your tears are delicious." He chuckled, wiping them away. "There we go my little Caroline. You are now officially mine."

"Caroline, you can't go! She will kill you! She will kill you! She's out there waiting to kill you!" My Uncle hopelessly screamed but Sheriff ordered his men to mute him and put him back in castle. "Who?! Who is she?! Uncle!" I called out but it was too late, I lost him from my sight as Sheriff lifted me in his arms to place me on the horse. "Old mad man, nothing else. I think I might be doing you a favor to take you away." Sheriff grinned, sitting behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist. It was highly uncomfortable and worst part was that I couldn't do a single thing about it.

"You did very well tonight. It's not often that I find a girl as feisty and loyal as you. And you are a real beauty too." Sheriff commented, lying his head on my shoulder to whisper something in my ear. "Come on, it won't be that terrible to be my bride. I will be a good husband to you. And you will learn to love me. Willingly or not...you simply will." I turned my head away as he kissed my neck. Uncomfortable was truly weak word. I was trapped and there was no way to save myself. Now I was actual prisoner.

• • •

Hello everyone! The newest chapter is finally here. I finally added the certain theme of beauty and the beast, presenting the choice. I really like to keep the entire book in the atmosphere of beauty and the beast but to fit the movie's accuracy we will see how it turns out. If you had any ideas, I'm always more than happy to listen! Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I apologize for all my mistakes. Thank you so much for reading and see you in comments! Sending love