9 | Season of the Witch

George's POV

George's POV

"Where have you been that long?" Mortianna stared at me, anger in her eyes as she was brewing some potion. "I was busy. Well, my other god calls." I admitted. I used to visit church only one day a week but now as Caroline was around she asked me to visit it more often. There were always orphans and Caroline tried her best to be there for them. Her actions like this sure done in me a smaller change although I didn't want to admit it. Not yet. Still, seeing her smile when she got surrounded by all these kids, I couldn't stop thinking what great mother she could be in future.

"Don't upset yourself, Mortianna." I tried calm her down as she stared at me evily. "Appearances are important to that a lot. You know my true faith lies in the old ways. Although...frankly, sometimes...I can't see much difference." Mortianna gave me a little glare but continued to pay attention to her potions. "Mortianna?" I suddenly asked, breaking the silence. "Did my parents truly tell you to instruct me in all this? This position and such..?" Pause.

"Their dying wish. Or what did you except? I gave you everything. Without me, there is no you! No Sheriff of Nottingham, everyone bows down before." Mortianna responded, cold stare. "I know. I'm grateful, calm down. It's just was their dying wish for me to be like this...heartless and feared by everyone?" I asked, regretting it later. "Why are you asking me such foolish things?! By kidness you buy nothing! By fear and terror you can build empire! What's the matter with you?! Speaking such nonsense!" Mortianna shouted angrily. "Fine! Fine, jeez!" I muttered, giving up.

This was useless conservation. "Did you catched her already?" Mortianna suddenly asked. "Who? That witch, no, not yet. But as I told you witches are in England found and killed immediately, she might isn't even alive anymore." I tried reassure her. "She's alive, I know it. Marabella is around and can end us both instantly if you don't capture her." Mortianna glared. "The only thing that bothers me is..if she's a witch, why don't you stick together? I know you're the good one but wouldn't she be useful?" I asked, surprised myself I show interest.

"Witches never stick together. Especially someone as Marabella, she is nothing but a traitor. And she deserves only the worst punishment. She was never fond of the power she held anyway." Mortianna growled, losted in possible flashbacks. "Now let me continue brew my potions. And be useful and capture that wench! She is near, so don't waste time!" I slowly nodded, leaving her lair. The way she was blinded by capturing this witch I felt she was getting out of control. I started feel uneasy from it all. From all these years of her orders to make me a ruler I happened to become.

Something wasn't feeling right anymore. But why so suddenly? I didn't use to mind it. I always listened to Mortianna, after all she was possibly the only family I had near. She saved my life as kid. At least that's what she told me and that my parents only wanted for me to rule before they died. But now I wasn't that alone anymore. There was also Caroline who finally saw me as her friend. It was sure a good start. She had the purest heart I ever thought could exist. Maybe one day she could grown to love me truly and not because she would be forced. Just maybe I had hope. Along with the hope of some change. Change in me.