The Night of the Crickets

Start from the beginning

Plants can drown, right?

"Uh oh."

And that's when it clicked.

My expectations were unclear, but I quickly turn my head towards the side, where the metal fence divided the space of the neighbors' and ours.

It's true, she was nowhere to be found.

"Huh..." I don't know if I'm sad or... what.

My job here is done, I can get back to my game, but I don't think I want to.

Laying by the tree here seems... ideal. I think I'll do that instead.

What is this feeling? Once again, this throbbing emotion came unnoticed, and vigorously began to beat against my heart.

My mind raced with fervor and tension, and although my surroundings remain undisturbed, I surely didn't feel that way.

What is this... feeling?

As if on cue, a door opened. And it wasn't ours.

Her face had peeked slowly and carefully. She walked out the door, quietly shutting it behind her.

Her walk wasn't anxious, nor was it depressing like before. She didn't seem to be in a rush either.

She just walked and sat on her favorite spot.

"...So who's this Helene? Mind sharing?" Maya said after spending five whole minutes staring out into the cosmos.

Five minutes of us saying absolutely nothing.

I was confused as all balls. "H-How'd you even...?"

"You talk when you think, y'know? It's kinda fascinating. Really gives me an edge in our little conversations." She turns away from me, though I could've sworn she winked.

She winked.

Do I really mumble like that? "Do I?"

Maya laughs warmly. "Yup."

It didn't take long for Maya to turn right at me completely, her features hindered by the metal fence dividing us.

It didn't matter, her prettiness pierces right through any obstacle.

"C'mon, c'mon! I don't got all night!" she urged me without hesitation.

I was doubtful, obviously. I mean, no matter how much Maya dazed me with her traits, I haven't the slightest clue who she really is.

Heck, I don't even see her around anywhere!

So after narrating, or monologuing, my way into her desire to listen, I shot her a question I've wondered since seeing her for the first time.

"Hey, Maya?"

"Yes, Darryl?"

"Where do you go to school?"

I can't help but feel her expression change. It's like I unknowingly shot her a dagger.

"Because uh... I've only ever seen you here, so I figured why not meet besides here?" I said, trying my best not to sound too freaky.

I continued, "There are only two schools in town, so uh... Deep Pines or Calwood?"

Flustered, she replied with, "C-Calwood!"

It's the first I'd seen her this weary.

Nonetheless, I didn't want to ruin the mood with my mindless poking. "Ah, I figured, considering I don't know any Maya at Deep Pines!"

I laugh, hoping to lighten her up.

"Maybe we could meet up sometime! Hey, I could visit you at Calwood! I got some close guys there and..."

I trailed off. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

"I... did I say something wrong? I-I'm terribly sorry!" I apologized.

"No, no, please, don't! Uh..."

Maya's lost in thought. Then she stands up abruptly.

"How about we continue this... tomorrow? That sounds fine, yeah?" she suggested.

Having caught off guard, I nodded.

With that, she seems relieved. Maya burps a huge sigh, then heaves, "See ya, D!"

...D? Is that supposed to be me?

Regardless, she went back inside, leaving me empty and unanswered.

I guess there's time for my game after all.

I walk back to my room, and I can't help but feel disappointed. At least just a little bit.