Chapter 1- The Hobos

Look, I'm gonna be frank with you. It's one of those usual stories. Like Cinderella. Well it starts off like that but ever since I was smart and ran away (unlike Cinderella) my story, let's just say it's been different. Very different. Sadly, I did not meet Prince Charming and lose my shoe and talk to a magical fairy god mother or get to see a mouse turned into a horse yet. Yeah... bummer. But who I did meet are the best people in the whole world. Okay let's rewind. My names Timber. I know...Being named after a piece of wood isn't the greatest thing in the world but I can deal with it. So yeah...I'm sixteen and I have a cruel stepmother. Luckily I don't have two evil step sisters but my mom did die when I was seven. And since life's unfair one lucky is equal to two unluckies- my dad passed away six months ago. So like I said I'm a runaway orphan. I handled my step mom's crap ever since I was twelve and now I've had enough. Dad married her partly to get over my mom's death and partly so that I don't feel left out. (Dad, look I appreciate it but next time, try to marry someone who doesn't treat you like dirt). Yeah so right now I'm running away from her "gentle search parties" (more like hunt-her-down-and-bring-me-her-heart-and-we'll-have-a-party) with very little money and I have a bunch of cloth around my face so people mistake me for a walking talking cloth man instead of 'Timber McCracken.' Oh yeah. Back up.

So basically our nation is divided into four main sectors. Before, a king used to rule the entire place but the people wanted a democracy. About twenty years later after the king died a woman called Katherine Brown decided to bring one helpful social worker from each sector of the nation and form a sort of government. The plan was still in progress when she mysteriously "ran away". I don't know where and how but it's quite strange. Anyways my family was (still are) wealthy but mom and dad used that money for the benefit of our sector (Sector 1), so Katherine chose them as part of the new government. The whole scheme was still coming together when my mom died, followed by my dad's death and since I've run away now all that moneys in the hands of Belatrice (my evil step mother) Well then. This is gonna be harder than I thought

I walked through the silent alley. Each step I took echoed through it. I shivered at the rain poured down on me. It was dark and scary and this alley didn't even have a street lamp, forget about a few shops. I just needed a place to stay for the night. I looked into a puddle to see my own reflection looking back at me. Strands of my coffee brown hair stuck out of the scarf covering my head. My tan skin had become wet due to both the rain and my sweat. My lips were chapped and my blue eyes looked dull and sad. I had successfully survived my first runaway day without being caught but I already missed the warmth of my room and my cozy blankets I snuggled up in and Rainbow ... he was my stuffed unicorn. I should've carried a bigger bag with more stuff. Humph. All I had were clothes, food, a water bottle, food, a first aid kit, and more food. Honestly I didn't think I'd make it this far. I was already exhausted. I'd traveled so far. I was planning to travel to another sector and start a new life there but if I was getting so tired in one day I had no idea how I would make it anywhere. I continued to move along, hoping I could find a little shack or hotel to spend the night. I don't even remember how I reached this place. I just happened to stumble upon it. My back ached and my stomach was grumbling but I didn't want to waste my food. Suddenly my foot hit a rock and I tripped. My head slammed onto the ground as I fell and then I blacked out.

I woke up to the smell of garbage and a cold cloth against my head where I had gotten hurt. Wait, where were the scarfs covering my face! Ahhhh! My disguise had been removed! I was no longer the walking talking cloth man. Then I realized there were voices around me.

"Is she alive?" whispered a girls voice.

"OH LOOK! SHE FLINCHED!" said a loud voice. It was definitely a boys and the stench of his breath reached me. I gagged and got up. The cloth on my head fell down. I opened my eyes and the light almost startled me. The clouds had cleared revealing a bright blue sky with a shining sun. Then I turned around to inspect these two people I was with. The girl had frizzy red hair that looked like they hadn't been washed for a long long time. She had chocolate brown eyes and was wearing jeans with a dirty green tank top. She didn't have any shoes on and only a couple minutes after looking at the boy did I realize they were twins. Forget his hair, this guy looked like he hadn't washed for a long time. He had curly red hair and freckles spread across his cheeks. His loose t-shirt and shorts had brown mud stains everywhere. He looked around fourteen, just like his sister. (duh... they were twins) His teeth had a yellowish tint to them and his feet were bare. His hands were behind his back like he was hiding something and his he was grinning mischievously.

"Hey. I'm Timothy, nickname Timmy. It's nice to meet you Miss.Timber. Your disguise kinda came off." Said Timothy breaking the silence. She spoke quickly and didn't meet my eyes like she was nervous. "Forgive my hair! I...I can't really afford shampoo cause well we're quite poor or like the common people call us- We're the hobos. Yay." She added blandly. "Oh! And please excuse Josh, my brother! He... He well, he doesn't care about personal hygiene much Miss. Timber." Josh grinned.

 "Oh that's fine!" I replied "and don't call me Miss.Timber it's kinda- HEY GIVE ME BACK MY MARSHMALLOWS!" I lunged at Josh. So that's what he had been hiding behind his back. Timothy yelped , Josh dogged and I almost ran into the wall.

He cleared his throat and said "Oh I wouldn't do that if I were you. We have been taking care of you all night. We want a favor in return." I glared at him

"JOSH! He didn't mean that miss- I mean Timber!" Timothy cried.

Then Timothy did something quiet strange for a fourteen year old. She broke into tears. "Ever since Mom and Dad forgot about us- he... Josh... Josh has been stealing food and getting into... so-so... so much trouble. I can't live like thi-this any-anymore. We're mis-miserable" Timothy said, struggling to talk between tears. Josh quickly ran to her side. "What do you mean by forgot about you?" I asked wondering. Josh gave me the I'll-tell-you-later sign. Strangely enough he eyes were watering too. As mischievous as he looked there was some sadness hidden behind his warm eyes. That's when I realized how similar we were. We both had the same life goal- to start a new one.