Chapter 8- Isac

The building was dull and uneventful. It looked so abandoned that I could imagine those random tumbleweeds they showed in cartoons rolling across the ground. I couldn't believe that this was the greatest technology institute anywhere. I was hoping for a few more... people I guess.

After one more night of sailing we had finally reached sector 4. Mr. Oliver, the governor of this sector, was nominated for the post because of his institute. He had contributed to the technology of the world immensely and had started an institute for junior inventers.

I stared at the automatic doors that opened and closed, they were malfunctioning. Strange, I thought, that the greatest institute in the world had automatic doors that weren't even working. "Well I don't see any security guards... nobody said we can't go inside." Katy said slyly. I smiled. I had a crazy best friend. Katy held the doors open as we slipped inside. The institute was huge. The ceiling looked like it was going on forever. But the place was entirely deserted. Unfinished projects were laid down on different tables, tools littered the ground. "Whoa... what happened here?" Josh asked.

"Everything." said a voice behind us. I almost jumped.

The five of us turned to see an African American boy, about 17, looking back at us. He had dark eyes and dark hair and his eyes were red and puffy like he was crying. Thin squared glassed were placed lopsided on his face.

"Oh-um-we're not trespassing, I mean we are but we're not and ugh you know what I mean." Katy said nervously.

The boy chuckled. "No it's fine. It's actually better to see people around here." He stuck out his hand. "I'm Isac."

Katy shook his hand. "Nice to meet you." She said, not quite meeting his eyes. Wait a minute... was Katy BLUSHING!?!?! OUR KATY!? OH MY GOODNESS... she was never going to hear the end of this. I smiled smugly.

"What happened here exactly?" Travis asked with a concerned face.

"Yeah... and where's Mr. Oliver"? Timothy inquired innocently.

Isac's expression turned cold and depressed. "Oh...um... Mr. Oliver... he kinda disappeared yesterday."

"WHAT!?" All five of us shouted at once.

"That's why no one's here. With Mr. Oliver gone... well everything just changes. I was an orphan. Mr. Oliver got me to his institute when I was small. I'm not adopted or anything but he was like my dad. Yesterday night he wasn't in his office and everything was thrown around the floor. When he didn't come today, people were angry. They wanted to know what had happened to their teacher. Mrs. Belatrice sent some of her detectives here to find out what had happened to him but they didn't find anything."

I groaned... not her again. Isac glanced at his watch. "Speaking of which... they're doing another check here anytime soon."

Timothy looked at me, with her eyes widened. I cursed in my head. "We should get going..." I said quickly.

"Wait... why?" Isac asked inquisitively.

I looked at the others nervously. Travis nodded his head slowly.

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" I asked suspiciously, narrowing my eyes.

"Yeah I swear." Isac said sincerely.

I laughed. I know I was giving out like a colossal secret but I couldn't help it. "I am Timber McCracken." I said gently lifting a part of the wig to show him my coffee brown hair.

He gawked at me. "No way..."

"Yes way. This is Timothy and Josh. They... lost their parents some time ago. This is Katy Brown, yes Katherine Brown's daughter and"-

"I suppose your Demitrea's gardener or something then?" Isac said looking at Travis.

"Brother, actually." Travis said smiling smugly.

"You can't be serious." Isac cried helplessly.

We laughed. "Oh we're extremely serious... never been more serious before." Josh said seriously.

"Well you've never been serious. It's hard to be serious when you're a goofy clown like you." Timothy said, rolling her eyes at her brother.

"So what exactly are you doing here?" Isac asked.

"Look man it's a long story. We gotta go. See you around." Travis said.

"You can come to my apartment if you like." Isac suggested.

"Are you serious?" Josh asked

"Oh shut up with the "serious" will you?" Timothy asked.

"Can... can I join you?" Isac inquired.

" YES! YES! YES! THAT WOULD BE... fine." Katy exclaimed, then she had realized that everyone was staring at her and had pulled it off by saying "fine" instead of "FANTASTIC!" I'm pretty sure she was gonna say that.

"Well then its settled... you're in." I said.

"Thanks! Are you sure I don't have to go through an initiation or something?"

"Of course not, silly." Timothy exclaimed.

"So what are you guys exactly? An elite team of superheroes saving the world?"

"Ohhhh... I like it when you put it that way." Travis said. I grinned.

Timothy continued. "Yes I guess that's nice. But honestly? We're just... just... "

Then with her eyes glistening she whispered." The Wanderers."