Chapter 15- Mom

For a while a blanket of silence hung in the air. Katy, being the first one to break the tension, managed to squeak out, "Excuse me, what?"

"I said he's my uncle." Josh repeated.

I turned my confused face to Timothy for an answer.

"I don't...I don't remember."

"Guys, we just need to get out of here. We can discuss this later." Isac suggested.

"Look! Screen number 7! They're letting all the hobos out. Without their money! Those cheaters! " Katy exclaimed.

I glanced up at the scene. All the hobos were forming a line outside the helicopter. Where were they taking them now? As if answering my question, the helicopter flashed into view and I saw a sign pasted on to it, "Flying to Sector 4." So the hobos were going back. Except for the fact that now they were completely mental. We needed to get to that helicopter.

"Let's go. Now." I said.

I headed back to the heating vent. The others followed. "Travis, come on." I half yelled. But he wouldn't budge. He was looking at another computer, his eyes fixated on the screen. I ran to him, grabbed his hand and tried to drag him away but he yanked his arm out of my grasp and pointed to the computer. "Timber, look." I followed his gaze and saw a lady that looked quite familiar. I couldn't see the entire picture because there was a pop up on the screen that said, "Confidential Information. Please enter numerical password."

I looked back at the lady's face. I tried to remember where I'd seen her before but I couldn't place my finger on it. Then I realized I had never seen her. She looked familiar since I'd seen her daughter. Since I'd seen Timothy. I gasped. This was it. This was what we had come here for. I called Timothy and Josh over. My heart clenched as I saw their expressions of worry change into horror. I wish I knew the password so we could watch the video. This was their mother. And no matter how many times you fought, she would always love you...

A girl, around the age of 12, was lying down on her bed, sketching. Her dark blue eyes scanned the page as she tried to find the faults. Another woman walked into her room. She was beautiful, with her long black hair and warm hazel eyes. Her smile was comforting and gave the girl a sense of security. The girl adored her, but she wouldn't let this show. She couldn't.

"Get out." The girl spat at the woman.

A look of hurt passed over the woman's face. "I'm sorry Timber. "she whispered.

The woman backed out of the room. The girl couldn't carry this burden of guilt any more. She thought of the lady, the lady that she adored, the lady that would soon be her mother. Her eyes started to water as she thought of her mom. She just had to have that accident didn't she? Though she'd never actually been that close to her mom and though she didn't even know her that well she was her mom and she could never be replaced by anyone, even if she was a kind lady like Belatrice.

"Well actually, I need help with this drawing. I know you're an artist." The girl whispered, hardly holding back a sob.

The lady turned around. She looked happy now. "Of course." She joined the girl on her bed.

"The birds. I know they're wrong. But I just don't know what." The girl said. "Fix it Belatrice." She held out the pencil.

"No. I'll just tell you what's wrong. You fix it."

"But I might mess up."

"To make one really good picture you must make a hundred really bad ones first."

The girl smiled. All she really wanted this year for her birthday were drawing lessons, from Belatrice. She glanced at the unwrapped presents that were thrown into a confused heap on her bed. The lady followed her gaze and sighed.

"My little kiddo's becoming a teen."

"I'm not your little kiddo." The girl said, harshly.

"Right." The woman said softly and got up to go. As she walked out she slowly pulled out the huge chocolate bar from the girls pile of presents and broke into a run, grinning.

"BELATRICE!" The girl yelled, laughing. She managed to drag herself off the bed and after the lady. She chased her, into the backyard. It was huge. A gentle breeze passed through the lawn and the smell of freshly mowed grass wafted through the air. Oh no. She heard a familiar hum. Then before she knew it the sprinklers were on and she was drenched. The lady stood some distance away and the both of them laughed. Then she took off again. Panting, the girl followed her. They ran around the sprinklers, not caring about anything for a while. And for that moment Timber felt happy again. And it wasn't anything special or different, it was just plain happiness, something she hadn't felt in months.

Not realizing where she was going, the girl ran straight into a mud puddle, slipped and fell. She wasn't hurt or anything. It felt good actually, getting dirty for once. She heard a shriek and she saw the lady come back.

"TIMBER! Are you hurt!?"

"No I'm fine mom. But if you would give me my chocolate back I would feel a lot better."

The lady laughed at first but then slowly her expression turned to confusion. She stared at the girl for a while. Her eyes started to water and she smiled. Tears of joy. That's when the girl realized why. She had just called her 'mom'.