Chapter 9- The Initiation

I just couldn’t sleep. I rolled over in bed again and again and whenever I closed my eyes I opened them almost immediately. Something was wrong. I knew that in the back of my mind. I just had to find out what. My mind travelled to all the adventures we had , my friends  and then it struck me. Isac. He was the problem. I tiptoed over to Katy’s bed and gently shook her awake.

“Sorry… were you sleeping?” I asked apologetically.

“No! I was skydiving.” Katy exclaimed sarcastically. I chuckled.

“Listen I have to talk to you.”

“ ‘Bout what?”

“Isac.” The second after I said his name Katy became red..

“YOU’RE BLUSHING!” I screamed.

“Shut up man! You’ll wake everyone else up!” Katy said. Then she pouted and told me to go away.

“This is serious. I have this feeling that we’ve accepted Isac way too quickly. I’m not saying he will be a traitor but you know… better safe than sorry. ” I explained

“So what’d you wanna do about it?”

 “I don’t know…”

“Well he suggested it himself… an initiation.” Katy said with a smug smile.

                                                                                             . . .

The plan was perfect. Timothy had made the best wig and the best beard. Isac was down, buying some more food and Travis was just on his way out. I could hardly recognize him. Katy had given Travis her least feminine sunglasses, and the wig and beard were jet black. He didn’t do much about his clothes but they were good enough. I gave him a thumbs up as he walked out the door. Then the four of us rushed to the balcony.

“LOOK! THEY’RE THERE!” Josh exclaimed.  We followed his gaze and spotted Travis approaching Isac. Then he turned the walkie talkie on. I swear, the accent Travis was putting on was so ridiculous, I was about to burst out laughing.

“Have you seen Timber McCracken?” Travis’s voice came booming from the walkie talkie.

There was some hesitation, then Isac asked, “Who?”

“Timber McCracken! Sector 1?! John McCracken’s daughter!”

“Oh. No I haven’t. Why would she be here?”

“Oh you are so out of date. SHE RAN AWAY!!”

“Oh. Why would she do that?”

I really had to congratulate Isac on his acting. He acted like such a confused idiot, which must have been hard, considering he was a super smart inventor. Now came the last stage.

“You’re hopeless.” Travis cried. “But remember, if you ever see her there’s a load of money involved.” I could hear the slyness in his voice.

No reply.

Then some hesitation, “No, I haven’t seen her. But I won’t mind keeping the money.”

“Go away.” Travis grumbled.

We watched Travis’s puny figure turn and walk away.  When Travis was out of sight, Isac ran back to the apartment. We could hear his footsteps echoing on the marble stairs. Isac appeared in the doorway. He was panting like crazy ‘WE HAVE TO GO-“he caught his breath. “NOW! THE HUNTERS-“

That’s when all of us burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny!?” he cried out helplessly.

Travis emerged from the stairs behind him, grinning. Isac gawked at him for a moment. Then when Travis slowly removed the wig, Isac looked like he was going to faint. Realization dawned on his face. First confused, then furious, then embarrassed.

“So there was an initiation!” he cried out

We nodded our heads, still laughing.

“WELL NEXT TIME PLAN ONE THAT WON’T NEARLY GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK!”

I chuckled.

“Dude seriously, I was so worried. Relax Timber, I won’t bail out on you for all the money in the world.”

“I have the best best friends ever. Thanks for making this journey possible guys.” I said.

Then all of us group hugged. Having a group hug with six people? Not a good idea. It was like drowning in a sea of people.

“So, is there space for one more wanderer?”  Isac asked

“Yup.”  I replied

“ And what about the initiation?”

I smiled. “You passed with flying colors.”