The Halloween Ball

I twiddled my thumbs in anxiety as Dumbledores words washed over me. The Halloween Ball, only seventh years were invited. It was sort of the grand event everyone looked forward to. One of the reasons everyone wanted to be a seventh grader. Well, the girls anyway. I, however don't like the idea much. I mean we have to wear dress robes and ask girls to the dance? I mean sure asking girls had never been a big problem but if I want to ask the person i'd like to... yeah well, I probably shouldn't get into that.

It was Wednesday and the ball was only two days away. About a third of the grade already had dates. Unfortunately my best mate was included in the group which resorted to taunting the rest of us with the lack of our dates. I rolled my eyes as Sirius went on about how lovely Marlene was going to look in her dress and how great Remus, Peter and I would look standing alone.
"Can you just drop it Padfoot? The ball was only announced two days ago. We've still got tons of time." But even as I said it I knew that I was kidding myself. The options were already draining substantially through every hour.
"James I don't see the big deal is! You've asked tons of girls out before!" Sirius argued. I shook my head.
"It's different when they're all expecting it. Whenever I walk past a group of girls they start giggling." Sirius just looked at me. "Remus, back me up here mate?" I said, exasperated.
"I agree with James." Remus said, putting his novel down. He leaned close. "Why do they have to always walk in packs." He whispered. That earned a laugh from all of us.

"But Prongs. Do you at least have any idea how you're gonna ask?" Sirius pushed. I hesitated and knew by the look on Sirius's face that was a mistake.
"Not Evans again?" Sirius ridiculed. I rolled my eyes, suddenly a little angry.
"This is why I don't tell you these things. You just ridicule me!"
"No James, it's just. I don't want you to get hurt. Physically and emotionally." Sirius added. That received a slight giggle from Peter. I gave the courtesy of shooting a glare.

Although I had convinced myself I still had plenty of time. The next morning I was nearly in a state of panic. I still had not asked anyone and was currently freaking out. What would happen if I didn't have a date? It wouldn't matter right? No one would care? Right?! I glanced over at where Lily was sitting. She still hadn't been asked yet I was pretty sure.
"Prongs. Just ask her." Remus whispered to me so Sirius couldn't here.
"Easy for you to say! Hestia asked you so you didn't have to!" I shot back. Remus held up his hands.
"Was just trying to help." He defended. I sighed.
"Right. Yeah. Im sorry, its just I really want to go with her. Why does she have to hate me so much?" I exclaimed as I through my head down onto the table.

After Lunch, I saw Lily's group sitting by the lake. Bathing in the sun. Soaking up the free period. I shot a rather longing look of desperation in hope Lily would catch my eye and run into my arms yelling that yes she would go with me. Unfortunately, Lily did catch my eye and unfortunately gave me a weirded out look instead. I tried to engage in conversation with the my friends but thats when I saw snivellus make his way across the lawn. Oh my god. He had a determined look in his eye and I could tell he was going to ask her. Oh no. Lily would freak! She'd be sending hexes all over the place.

I acted on impulse and sprinted to where her and her friends were sitting despite the protests of my friends. Snape was only a few metres away when I got to her. Already the group started giggling. I glanced over at him and saw he had just walked past, unfazed. I think I might've read this situation a little wrong. Suddenly my burst of confidence deflated and I felt dumb and stupid. My brain working fast, I thought up an excuse. "Uh... could I speak to Lily." A fresh burst of giggles exploded around the group. Lily blushed deeply red. "It's about head duties." I said firmly. The giggling deceased. I don't really know what I was saying. I was just digging myself a bigger hole. As Lily stood up to follow me away from her friends. I saw what I thought was disappointment in her eyes. I was praying so hard I was right.

"So." Lily said. " What did you need to tell me?"
"Uh..." I replied intelligently. Just blurt it out James. Just blurt it out. Lily's eyes bore into mine. "Um it's just that." I ruffled the back of my hair out of a nervous habit. "Uh."
I let out a breath.
"Dojawantagtotheballwithme?" I blurted out. She gave me a quizzical look. "Do you, want to go to the ball with me and please don't hex me." I rushed the last bit out and cringed waiting for the hex. I opened my eyes when it did not come. It wasn't a hex but Lily's eyes were steaming with fury.
"You took your time to ask didn't you?" She said furiously. The words were confusing. This isn't right. "I've been waiting days for you to ask! I had to turn down Ern Mullens invitation because I was waiting for you!" I was bewildered, Lily was waiting for me? She'd turned someone down for me. I stared at her blankly.
"You fancy me?" I asked thickly. I received a slap on the arm.
"Of course I do!" She continued. This was music to my ears. I swear I'd never felt so happy in my life. "We've been getting along really well recently and I haven't hexed you in six months. Isn't it obvious?"
"Well excuse me for not realising them as signs." I joked. Too happy to be mad right now.
"I-" Lily started but broke out in a laugh. Her anger faded away. "Yeah okay. I get your point." I was relieved she had stopped yelling.
"So you will go with me?" I asked hopefully. She sighed, exasperated.
"Of course."
"Great, see you in the common room at seven, Evans." I said as I winked while walking off. Or nearly skipping. Lily let out an airy laugh.
"See you Potter."

I rejoined my friends by our favourite tree.
"What're you so happy for? Evans totally just beat you up!" Sirius asked confused. Obviously they'd seen a different story so far away.
"In a way." I agreed.
"Then why are you so happy?!" Moony put in. I looked at them, eyes wide. Unable to contain my excitement anymore. I told them.
"She said yes."

(I got this idea when rereading the Goblet of Fire and seeing Harry's difficulty asking Cho to the ball. So I thought hey, father like son. I might continue this into a two parter, not sure yet. I originally stated that this one shot collection would have ten parts but I've decided I'm gonna keep adding more. Hope you enjoy! Comment what you think!)