Win Her Over (Christmas Spirit: part 2)

The time before the party began James lived in a blur of cocky arrogance and utter hopelessness.

He was living in all of his glory of finally, after years of trying, getting a date with Lily Evans.

But there was a small voice inside his head which whispered to him in nearly every passing moment. Reminding him he wasn't quite there yet. He only had one night to 'win her'.

One night to step over the clean rope to finally leave the cramp sectioned she'd left him in which was strictly meant for friends.

By the time 8:00 arrived he was calm.

He'd found a new way of distracting himself, by picturing how Lily was going to incorporate her unfashionable Christmas sweaters into a black tie occasion. He couldn't help let out a small chuckle when a particularly strange design came into his mind of a dress made of wool that flared at the end in a reindeer pattern.

"What are you giggling to yourself about?" Asked a voice which made James stomach  drop two degrees in position.

He must keep his cool if he wanted this night to be a success,

"I was just thinking how you we're going to fashion yourself a dress festive enough for Lily Evans Christmas standard." He said slowly while looking up.

"Well I actually decided to ditch that theme for one night and just incorporate some Christmas colours. But don't worry, I have some antlers to go with."

Looking at her, he was struck by what he saw. There wasn't many opportunities to get too dolled up at Hogwarts. With the slim window of opportunity, Lily seemed to have certainly gone full out.

He wasn't quite sure what she'd done with her make up. But her green eyes were so alluring he was struggling to look away.

Maybe she'd just put a charm on her eyes, Either way it had the same effect.

"Lily... Uhh-you um..." He started.

"I think 'hot' is the word your looking for there James." Came a voice from her brunette best friend behind her.

"Marlene!" Lily scolded. But she too had erupted into laughter.

"Actually that wasn't quite the word I was looking for." James said, trying to build back his rhythm.

"No?" Lily teased.

"Not quite. You know I was thinking more along the lines of beautiful. But I guess hot works too." James smirked.

Now Lily wasn't the one laughing. Instead her cheeks had turned a shade which was close competition against the bright red of her hair.

"Well I suppose that's a better way than to tell me that I should be in Slytherin." She mumbled.

----------------

"Ol' Sluggy has really gone full out this year, hasn't he?" Commented Lily, as the pair both gazed at the heavily decorated room which held at least double the decorations than the Gryffindor common room. And that was a hard feat to beat as Lily had helped decorate.

The similar floating mistletoes and angels hovered around the room, while tables and trays of every type of Christmas related food floated to your service.

The room was already swirling with students from every year level by the time they had stomped through several staircases.

"Maybe it's just because it's the last party he can throw for his favourite student?" James teased.