Smashed Bottles

She was three quarters of her way through her Charms homework when she was awoken from stressed submission by the smash of her butter-beer bottle, the result of it falling off the surface of the old wooden table. Or rather pushed. Perhaps even murdered was a good word for it, Lily thought, glancing down to the shards with an air of disappointment. Before Looking up to find her eyes meet with familiar hazel ones.

"What'd you do that for?" She said, glancing down at the shards of glass, once again, pitifully. James sweeped broken bottle with a flick of his wand. Leaving the cheery looking liquid bubbling on the floor.

"Nevermind that. I need help. Now." He said with a sense of urgency, while sliding into the booth. "You know the other day how you were talking about how I was such a great friend and all that." He began. Lily's eyebrows furrowed into her head.

"I don't remember saying it anything like that."

He waved her off.

"Not the point. So friends do each other favours right? To help them get out of sticky situations?" He was talking fast, his eyes wide. His hair appeared to be messier than normal in his frantic mood.

"James i'm not helping you and Sirius find a boyfriend for McGonnagal again." Lily said, exasperated.

"Really? You'd think i'd do that? After how many detentions we got last time?" James said, seemingly forgetting about his problem at hand. More fixed on Lily's underestimation of his pranking skills.

"It hasn't stopped you before." Lily pointed. A grin expanded on his face.

"Good point. Look, back in the common room-"

He was interrupted by the sound of chiming bells signalling a new customer in the three broom sticks. Susie Baker walked into the room, rather pink in the face. A look of panic appeared on James face again.

"Hold my hand." He pleaded, suddenly.

"What? No!" Lily exclaimed, pulling her hand back into her lap away from its pursuer.

"Please?" He begged.

Lily narrowed her eyes.

"You haven't resorted to your 4th Year techniques have you? Because if I hear one line about how your hand is heavy and you need someone to hold it for you..."

"Lily!"

"Well you did get mad when I underestimated you before."

"That was completely different!" Said James. He glanced towards the doorway, Susie was still scanning the room with her laser blue eyes.

"Look." James tried again, now speaking fast under his breath as he straightened his slightly lopsided glasses. "Back in the common room Susie just asked me out again." Lily looked like she was about to interrupt but James plowed On. "I couldn't find an acceptable reason to say no without being plain rude. So I shifted a few things around and-"

"You didn't" Lily said, flabbergasted, knowing what the guilty looking boy was about to say.

"-I may have said that I had a girlfriend." He continued. "And when she asked who I may have said you." He rushed out. Flinching as if waiting for her outburst.

"James!" She came on cue.

"What? You're the only girl who I thought would maybe do this for me."

"I can't do this right now. I'm trying to remember what the motion used for a Fiddle
Charm is." Lily exclaimed. James paused for a moment. His expression changed.

"What is the motion used for a memory charm?" He asked, curious.

"A simple circular motion then jab. But that's not the point." Lily fumed. "What's she still hanging around you anyway, if you told her we were dating." She said gesturing to Suzie who seemed to have found the couple and was positioning herself at the closest booth free.

"Well... and you're going to want to listen to this." James assured her and she glanced back down to her Charms homework. "It's probably because even after I told her we were dating. She asked me again and told me that you'd never have to know, as long as-"

"SHE WHAT?" Lily nearly yelled.

Her second bottle of butterbeer making its mark next to where the last one laid on the floor. The bartender shot her a rather nasty look, after just delivering her second glass moments before.

"I know right!" James said, satisfied with Lily's reaction, relaxing back into his chair.

"We've shared a room for nearly seven years. I let her borrow my rose perfume. That little b-!"

"Okay Okay Lily." James said, the alarm back into his eye. "I get it though. I said no of course. I told her we were very much in love." He assured her.

"Hell yes we are!" Lily's red hair seemed to be everywhere in her anger. "I suppose she's come to see if you'd ditch me" She spoke, narrowing her eyes at the brunette girl, two booths over.

"I expect so." James said.

In a sudden movement Lily grabbed James hand and wove it through hers. James looked down, his eyebrows raised.

"Your going to help me?" He asked questionably, a certain amount of hope in his eyes. Lily nodded, maybe a little against her better judgement.

"She's going to be so jealous... I promise you. Regret that she'll ever ask you out at all..." She muttered.

"It was rather rude of her. And when she kept going..."

"Preposterous." Lily said, blowing her hair out of her face. Her charms homework forgotten. James thumb was rubbing circles into her hand soothingly.

That's when it happened, in a swipe of a snitch.

Susie seemed to be unable to look away at least a little politely no longer. As she peered towards the couple with certain determination.

"Quick James, she's looking." Lily said suddenly.

James swooped his head from making awkward eye contact with Suzie's mocking eyes before looking back to Lily.

"Wha-"

He was cut off by her mouth placed onto his. He could feel Susie's rising hot gaze on the back of his neck as Lily kissed him for the first time. And suddenly, he didn't care. Because he was kissing Lily Evans. Her kisses were fiery like her hair. Lost in submission, the pair seemed to have forgotten that neither were actually a couple. But as they relaxed into the kiss and Lily brought her hands up to his jet black hair. Lily rather thought she heard a sort of huff and a pair of footsteps leaving the bar.

There was also a faint sound of whooping. Which she was ready to already bet belonged to Sirius Black.

{ I kinda liked this one. Although not gonna lie it was about 90 % banter OOPS. But good news I'm on summer holidays now which gives me more time to write (hooray) which means faster updates. :)))) Anyway tell me what you think! I alway love hearing from you all. ❤️❤️ }