Chapter Two

Word Count- 1498

FOURTH YEAR

JACOB'S POV

My eyes slowly flutter open as I feel someone gently shake me awake.

"Jacob." Someone says softly.
"Breakfast is about start, you have to get up now." I recognize the voice now. It's that of Cadence's. I sit up on my elbows, staring at her. She gives me a worried gaze.

"You have bags under your eyes." She states. "Those were not there yesterday."
I throw off the covers and go over to my dresser to get ready. I glance behind me to see Cadence still standing there giving me a concerned gaze. I clear my throat gesturing towards the door.

"Oh right, excuse me." She says quickly rushing out of the room. I roll my eyes with a grin forming on my face. I barley got any sleep last night but at least I woke up to a friendly face. That always makes me want to get up and finish the day.
I quickly get dressed and Cadence and I head down to The Great Hall for breakfast. As we arrive, breakfast had already started and some students are even getting up and leaving already.

" I'm so sorry for keeping you from breakfast Cadence. My fault for sleeping in so late." I tell her as we sit down. She smiles at me.

"It's not big deal!" She says. "I'm just happy you didn't try and lunge yourself at me this time. I had bruises for weeks after that little incident." She laughs to herself. I mumble a sorry.
For breakfast there is eggs and sausage. Also some delicious looking pastries. I lick my lips reaching for the delicious breakfast deserts.
Then my gaze travels towards the Slytherin table, looking for a certain someone. My eyes find Aaron sitting in his normal spot with Bella and Cree but...he's staring at me. I look behind me to see if anyone is looking at him to. No one is. I turn back towards him and our eyes lock. I stare into his perfect dark green eyes that remind me of an abyss. A blush quickly forms on my checks but this time I don't look away. We stare at each other for a few seconds longer and then...then...did he just wink at me?
My eyes widen and checks burn even more. I look away quickly and glance at Cadence, who had been starring at me this entire time. Her eyes are shining and there's a big bright smile spread across her face.

"That was bloody great and now my suspicion have been confirmed." She says excitedly. I stare at her.

"W...what suspicion might that be?" I ask her looking back at Aaron. He's laughing with his friends.
"That right there." She says, her smile ever widening.

"You have that looks in you eye." She says, staring into them.

"What look?" I ask.

"A look of hope." Her eyes shining even more.

"You like him!" She squeals grabbing my shoulders and shaking me around.

"N...no." I stutter, heat rising to my cheeks.

"You like that Slytherin Aaron!" She says, joy radiating off of her.

"Yeah I guess so." I mumble, running my hand through my hair.

"I knew it." She squeaks. "Finally I can put my master plan into play. We need to get him to like you back, if he doesn't already."

"Aaron's not gay." I tell her, my eyes falling. "Not him. He has too big of a role in the pureblood world to be gay. He needs to keep up his reputation. And being with me..." my voice cracks "...would ruin that." Cadence's eyes drop and I see the fire that was just there dim.
"I'm not hungry anymore." I tell Cadence quickly getting up from my seat, tears threatening to fall. I turn and rush out of the Great Hall into the corridor. Tears fall down my checks and I stop to lean against the wall. Why him? He can't love me back. It's not possible. A sob escapes my lips. Then another one. I slide down the wall till I'm siting on the ground. My head rests between my knees which are pulled up to my chest. The tears are falling faster now. They just don't stop. Why am I so stupid, falling for a Slytherin. They are supposedly the meanest house. Bloody hell, I'm so stupid. Suddenly I hear footsteps that are walking towards me. I look up, quickly wiping my tears away. My eyes widen as Aaron stands in front of me. He's holding out his hand to me. I look into his eyes and see there's something there. But I can't tell what. I'm speechless. I quickly get up and look him in the eye. I open my mouth to speak but before I can say anything, I can hear footsteps behind him. I look to see that Cree and Bella are walking towards us. I look back at Aaron just as his head turns back to me.

A sneer appears on his face.

"Weak." He says, his voice showing the tiniest quiver. He steps towards me and my breath stops. My eyes looks into his. Nothing, I can't see anything. Just emptiness. He shoves me and I stumble backwards. No, not you too.

"Pathetic." He says louder. Shoving me again. This time I fall to the ground. My hands scrape against the rough stone beneath me. Tears start falling all over again.

"Look at that Aaron, you made him cry. You are such a freak Jacob." Bella says sneering to me. Cree spits at me.
They walk off laughing and Aaron turns around towards them. But my ears must be deceiving me as I hear Aaron mumbles something under his breath. But I hear it like he said it right in my ear.

"Sorry." Aaron had said as quietly as he could. I wipe away my tears as the three of them walk off. My nose starts running and I sniff, a small hopeful smile forming of my face. Maybe, just maybe, it's not as impossible as it seems.

Right after breakfast I have Potions. The professor is Draco Malfoy which I have heard is a good thing because he's really good a potions but...I hear this all from Slytherin so I'm not to sure how good that could be.
I walk down to the dungeons and into the classroom ten mins early. No one has gotten there yet. I pause in the doorway already thinking I'm going to turn around.

"Come in." I hear a voice from inside the classroom say. I gulp and slowly walk inside.

"Hi." I mumble as I look around the room, finding him sitting at his desk, reading a book. As I walk closer I see...he's reading Advanced Potions.

"W...why would you n...need to read a book like that when you are already so good?" I ask him. He chuckles.

"Well I am good." He states. "But I'm not that good. I still have much to learn about Potions. Same as you. I'm just here to help you along the way." I hear footsteps behind me and I quickly rush to me seat and sit down. The Slytherins  have all started to come into class. The Hufflepuffs all trail behind them. My eyes quickly find the familiar blob of midnight colored hair. He sits down and his eyes are looking for someone. His gaze meets mine and stops. My heart starts beating faster in my chest. He won't look away. Heat rises to my checks. I'm stuck. I can't look away. He keeps staring at me and a slow smile forms on his lips. Then he tears his gaze away from mine, looking at the teacher. But I still stare at him. There's no way I'm going to be able to focus on class now. I force my eyes to look away and they and focus on what the teacher is saying. But I can't. I glance at Cadence who is now sitting next to me, looking slightly annoyed actually.
She leans over and whispers in my ear.

"Why did you leave me at breakfast?"

"I couldn't be in the same room as Aaron any longer." I tell her, looking down. I fidget with my hands, starting to rub them together...

"OW!" I shout, now remembering that I scraped my hands. I look down to see they have started bleeding. Everyone's heads snap over to me.

"Sorry." I mumble closing my hand together, wincing at the pain.

"What happened?" Cadence asks me. I point my head over to Bella, Cree, and Aaron.

"They we're picking on me and shoved me to the ground." I respond with, sadness filling my voice.

"Oh Jacob, I'm so sorry." She says wrapping her arms around me in a hug. I give her a tight hug back.

"It's okay." I say, knowing in reality everything is not okay. I'm not sure they ever will be.