Chapter LV

My shoulders are heavy with emotion as I blink back the tears, my hands clenched tightly into shaking fists in my lap.

"Tell me what happened, Rose," Josh gently demands, sounding genuinely concerned. Just then, I hear three different voices call out to me as they run towards us, looking worried and scared out of their lives.

"Emma, what's wrong?" Mason asks when he sees me.

Josh helps me stand up, and I brush the dust off my pants. Ignoring the piercing pain in my heart, I cut straight to the point. "Malvada killed my sister."

"Oh my god..." Gabby clasps a hand over her mouth, her eyes wide.

"Are you serious?" Ethan gapes.

"What? How...? When did this even happen?" Mason stutters.

"Today after school. Malvada possessed Claire. It's her way to teach us not to mess with her," I deadpan. It wasn't easy explaining what I witnessed on Monday and today in Clarice's room, but they all seem to understand everything without me making much effort. 

"Why didn't you tell us earlier?" Gabby asks, seeming a little hurt that I'd hide something so big from them.

"We should've come with you to the hospital," Ethan adds.

"Do your parents need anything? We'll help with funeral costs, don't worry." Mason reassures.

"You're not going to deal with this alone, Rose. My parents have connections, we'll help organize the funeral."

I nod, my heart swelling with emotion. I knew Gabby would offer me to come to stay at her place because she sensed that I didn't want to go home, but Josh beat her to it, the intensity and hopefulness in his eyes making it impossible to turn him down. Besides, I didn't want to argue with anyone anymore.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Mason throwing daggers at Josh, the expression in his eyes jealous and filled with longing.

"Rose." I tear my eyes away from Mason. "It's your call where you want to go."

I shake my head. "I'm not going back home. I don't want to face mom." My parents don't need me if they're not going to acknowledge my feelings for once.

"I'll go with you," I breathe, giving Josh the answer he was secretly hoping for. He nods, taking my cold hand in his warm one, and static charges erupt at our touch.

I face my friends. "I'll see you guys tomorrow." They look at each other and blink at me.

"You're still going to come to school knowing what happened?" Ethan states more than asking, and I nod.

"We'll cover for you there," Gabby assures me. You should take time for yourself and-"

"I'll be fine," I say dismissively. "Don't worry about me."

I couldn't and wasn't going to fall apart.

After that, we all walk towards our respective cars parked just a block away, and I tighten the leather jacket wrapped around me, inhaling the fresh, masculine scent that belonged to the man stroking my hand with this thumb.

Josh opens the passenger side door, and I let go of his hand and step inside his car, shifting comfortably, wrapping the seatbelt around me. Josh gets inside the driver's side and revs the engine, smoothly pulling away from the curb and drives away.

I lean back in my seat and shut my eyes, sighing loudly. My body felt sore, my head was throbbing, and I had no tears left in me to soak my face in memory of my sister's tragic death.