Chapter XXIV

After breakfast, I tried finding the opportunity to talk to dad about my decision to move out, but he and mom were pretty exhausted, and I wanted their full attention when I broke the news to them.

I told dad I needed to talk to him about something important later today when Clarice got back, and then they went upstairs to rest for some time, leaving Gabby and me alone.

I didn't want to tell her or anyone about my plan to move out yet. There was a lot to figure out, and I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

So, Gabby and I tried calling Clarice a few times in my room just to see what she's up to, but she didn't answer her phone on the first two tries. On the third try, we find out Clarice switched her phone off, and that strikes me as odd.

She never ignores my calls. Something is wrong.

Maybe if I text her, she'll respond? I open the messaging app on my phone and start typing.

Why aren't you answering my calls?

A few minutes later, my phone lit up, indicating someone messaged me. It was Clarice.

I promised you I'll explain everything. Trust me, I'm doing this for you, for us.

My fingers tap the mini keyboard on my phone as I type up another message.

What the hell are you even doing, Claire? Just tell me now, so I'm not thinking anything crazy.

Clarice starts to type, and I hold my breath, waiting for her reply.

Can't. Need some time.

I let out a huff. Before I could pester Clarice any further, another text appeared on my screen.

Stay safe. We'll talk later. Love you xx

I sigh in defeat and look at Gabby with a frown. "Guess we'll have to wait."

She nods, sending me a closed-lip smile. "Don't worry, I'm sure Claire knows what she's doing." I nod at her. We could only hope that.

Gabby and I decided to study Biology together in my room for a little bit before we got immensely bored and ended up watching a whole season of a new show. Around 4 pm, we got a little hungry, so I made a trip to the kitchen to get some food, ignoring my parents' hushed bickering along the way.

I open every cupboard and the fridge, taking everything unhealthy in my arms. Just as I am about to head back upstairs with two bags of chips, some popcorn, chocolate cookies and some cake, the doorbell rings.

Clarice wouldn't ring the doorbell. She has keys.

Clutching the food items in my hand, I struggle but manage to open the door only to find Josh standing on my porch, looking as handsome and breathtaking as ever in dark jeans, black shirt, and a leather jacket.

My heart does a summersault. What is Josh doing here?

His serious, impassive face turns amused as he raises a curious eyebrow when he notices what I'm holding in my arms. "Is that all for Gabby?"

"What are you here? Why are you doing?" I ignore his question and the stammering in my voice.

My brain seriously cannot function in this guy's presence. Where is my brain-to-mouth filter?

His dreamy blue eyes light up in amusement, the corner of his lips twitching up into a smirk. "What was that?" He knew what kind of impact he had on me, so naturally, he has to tease me about it.

I bite my lip a little too hard, feeling my face burn in embarrassment. "What brings you here?" I say through gritted teeth.

Josh rubs the back of his neck sheepishly, looking slightly uncomfortable, which is totally not like the typical, annoying, and grouchy Josh that I'm used to seeing. "About that," He starts, his soft gaze melting my heart and holding me hostage. "I came here to check on you, Rose."