Chapter XXI

After my talk with Mason, it was half-past nine. Clarice, Gabby and Ethan stroll into the living room, and the boys leave close to ten, leaving us girls alone. Before Ethan left, he gave me my clutch bag with my phone in it since I left it in his basement.

Gabby and I decide to get changed into something comfortable before the three of us unwind for the night, pretending to have no problems or stress. I plop down on the couch beside Clarice as she was scrolling through a list of movies or shows to watch.

Just then, Gabby waltzes into the room with a big bag of chips and settles on my right, chewing and crunching on each chip obnoxiously loud. I rolled my eyes at her. "Someone got comfortable in my kitchen pretty quick."

Gabby simply shrugs and continues to munch on her snack. I snatch the bag from her in annoyance and pop a few chips into my mouth, ignoring Gabby's heated glare. Just as I'm about to reach back inside the bag, Clarice grabs the chip bag and takes out two handfuls full of chips before shoving it back in my lap. I snort at her and take the last couple of whole chips before tossing the almost empty bag to Gabby.

Gabby looks inside the bag with a hopeful expression before realizing there was nothing but crumbs and broken bits of chips. I bite my lip to suppress a laugh from escaping.

"You fatass," She growls at me, and that's when I couldn't contain my laughter.

"Claire, get us some more chips, popcorn, those double fudge cookies, and chocolate ice cream," I say through giggles.

Clarice raises an amused eyebrow at me. "Why should I get up? I made and bought you coffee all through this week." She finally lands on a horror movie and hits' play.'

I scoff and roll my eyes at her. "And I stayed up with your weeping ass over Carl, Alejandro and Ajay. I brought half of our kitchen up to your room. This is the least you could do."

Clarice groans and mutters a "fine, whatever" before dragging herself to the kitchen. Gabby calls after her to get chocolate syrup as well, and I ask her to bring the double fudge cookies, not the plain ones. Clarice groans and yells at us to shut the hell up, making Gabby and I laugh.

"And bring a jar of Nutella!" I called after her one last time. A few seconds later, Clarice walks in with her arms full of all the diabetic food we own, making Gabby and I grin at her as a thank you.

She places the food on the coffee table in front of us, and that's when my gaze lands on a little folded piece of paper. I curiously picked it up and unfold it; there was a phone number, and the name 'Josh' roughly but confidently scribbled on the paper.

There it was; the rapid beating of my heart, the familiar warmth seeping through my body, realizing that Josh indirectly gave me his number, probably when I was unconscious.

"What's that?" Gabby asks me, and I hand her the paper, looking at her expectantly before she practically jumps up and down on her seat, and my heart leaps as I look at her with wide, confused eyes.

"What the hell, Gabby?" She just smiles widely at me like the lunatic she is. I narrow my eyes at her and frown. Why was she getting all excited like she won the lottery?

"Oh yeah! I meant to tell you about that little piece of paper earlier," Clarice casually says, and I snap my head to glare at her.

I pinch her on the arm. "You knew, and you weren't going to tell me?" I wanted to pull my hair out.

"Ow!" She rubs the spot I pinched. "I'm telling you now!" Gabby and I look at Clarice, patiently waiting for her to continue.

"When I heard you scream, I ran down the stairs and saw Josh carry you into the living room. He looked super worried and hot, by the way." I slap her arm, rolling my eyes at her, to which she chuckles. "Anyways, I got all psycho mad and asked him who he was, and then he was all 'Doesn't matter. Why the fuck would you put that filthy thing out there? She could've gotten hurt!'" Clarice mimics Josh, earning her a loud laugh from Gabby and me.