Chapter fifty four - In which you die

Start from the beginning

"I'm just guessing here, but that didn't sound all that great." Clint said, his voice rather higher than usual. Your stomach dropped as the jet began to lose height, fast, your knuckles whitening as you tightened your hold on the handle behind your head.

Tony was making his way to the cockpit and yelling at JARVIS, a large cut dripping blood down the side of his face.

"Sir, it appears that you are under attack. One of the engines-"

The Quinjet groaned loudly in complaint, and then all the lights went out. Your hair rose about your head and your stomach seemed to rise to your throat as you made a fast descent towards the ground.

"JARVIS?!" Tony yelled, holding on to a handle on the roof of the cockpit with one hand and punching at some buttons with the other. When this did nothing, he turned to look at the rest of you with more wide-eyed disbelief than fear.

You closed your eyes tight and projected a shield around the interior of the jet, putting every ounce of effort you possessed into the magic which was flowing out of you.

And then you prayed.

...

Opening your eyes it came to your attention that you were under attack.

You were lying among the crumpled remains of the Quinjet, the team sprawled around in varying conditions of health, some standing, some unconscious. All alive, thanks to you.

There were four men in black who you didn't recognise, and who you immediately understood to have bad intentions when you saw that two of them were trying to kidnap Nat, another one was pointing a gun at Bruce and another one was crouched over Tony's unconscious form. You struggled angrily to your feet, swaying slightly as you did so, registering only now that Bucky was shouting and trying to move from beneath a large piece of metal to help.

"I'm on it." you muttered, before tripping over your own feet. The man with the gun swung around to look at you, and you straightened up to face him. You felt a bit out of sorts.

"Stay where you are." the man said.

"Yes sir."

You could have used your magic, but the feel of your fist connecting with his nose and the satisfying crunching noise it made was so much more rewarding. The man let go of the gun and bellowed in pain, causing the other two men who were currently trying to kidnap Nat to turn and look. They shouldn't have taken their eyes off of her.

You watched as she disarmed and knocked out the two men with at least two broken ribs and a broken ankle with pride, before realising that you should not have taken your eyes off of your attacker.

The last thing you saw before he smacked you around the head and knocked you out was Bucky's horrified face.

And the gun which lay on the floor between you.

...

You were awoken again by a bucket of freezing cold water being poured over your head.

Gasping from the shock of the dramatic decrease temperature, your eyes flew open and your brain struggled to take in your surroundings. Two of the four men who had been in the Quinjet with you were stood in front of you, and to your immense surprise it looked as though one of them had been crying. He was young, maybe only a couple of years older than you.

Even more surprising was the fact that you were on a boat. You didn't feel all that brilliant from being knocked out twice within one hour, and wondered briefly if you might be hallucinating. But no, it seemed as though you really were on a boat. What was more you were tied to a chair, your hands bound behind your back tightly. Your gear was gone, you were in only the leggings and tank top you wore beneath the suit Tony had made you. You felt desperately for your bracelet; thanking Odin when you felt it still on your wrist.