Chapter forty two - In which life returns to normal

Author's note: hey guys, there is no news today. Sorry for the late update, I hope you enjoy this chapter x (this gif isn't really relevant I just really like it)

...

A week had passed since the New Year's party, and life was slowly but surely returning to normal. You and Loki had stayed in bed for the best part of two days afterwards, insanely hungover, and you discovered later that so had everyone else, only occasionally seeing someone on your infrequent ventures to the kitchen.

You had started training again with both Nat and Loki which had been extremely painful after over a week of eating more food than you usually did in a month with little to no exercise. Obviously you hadn't been able to hide what had happened between you and Loki from Nat, and by now you suspected the others knew about it as well. Or perhaps you were just coming up with excuses to not have to explicitly tell anyone about it. Loki wasn't exactly what you would call 'publicly affectionate' anyway; he still looked at Thor like he wanted to stab him whenever he projected a particularly loud thought about to two of you across the room, knowing you would hear. Which he did frequently.

You began to spend a lot of time training with Loki, which you were certain didn't go unnoticed by the others. It seemed however that everyone else was just as reluctant to talk about it as you were, which suited you just fine. Now that you and Loki had both opened your minds, training had become a whole new playground. You were picking up magic quicker and easier than you'd ever done before, and Loki had even agreed to try and teach you how to teleport which you were insanely excited about.

You were in the training rooms with Loki right now, practicing conjuring objects from thin air, sat cross legged on the floor frowning in concentration at the palm of your hand. You had a lip balm in your back pocket, which you were trying make appear in your hand. Loki was sat against the wall, twirling a knife which he'd used to demonstrate between his fingers, watching you. You decided not to ask where he'd got the knife from.

Try the paperclip again.

No, I already did that.

Loki fell silent again, letting you concentrate. Right as you were sure you were about to get the lip balm, you were interrupted by JARVIS.

"Miss Y/N, Mr Stark requires your presence upstairs. There may be a mission."

You reached into your back pocket and yanked the lip balm out, gripping it in your hand.

"That's easier. Thanks JARVIS." you told the AI.

"The second it took you to reach for that could be the difference between life and death." Loki said, standing up and offering you a hand.

"Yeah, this deadly weapon would really help in a life or death situation." you grinned, letting him pull you to your feet, tossing the lip balm in the air and catching it again as you made your way to the door. Once upstairs, you were greeted by a tense atmosphere.

"What's up?" you asked, and Clint pointed to Thor for his cue to look towards the sky, looking shocked when he didn't.

"I've learnt your Midgardian ways now Barton, don't look so surprised." Thor said.

"Tony's talking to Fury now." Bruce told you, and you turned to see Tony over the other end of the living room with a serious look on his face. Right as you looked he turned to you and waved his hand which you assumed meant 'suit up', mouthing "we're on". You couldn't help but feel a bit put out as you followed the others towards your rooms, it was almost seven pm and you hadn't had anything to eat in hours.

You were suited up and ready to go in less than two minutes, equipped with the bracelet Tony had made you and given to you for Christmas. He'd shown you how to use it properly earlier this week, it had loads of cool settings which on one hand you didn't want to be forced to try, but on the other hand you really wanted to try them out. You were just about to get Loki to come in when he materialised in front of you. He was worried.