Chapter forty one - In which Loki opens his mind

Author's note: Hey guys! Early update again, it was my birthday yesterday and I had such a great day so I'm too wired to sleep! This chapter is an extreme combo of angst and fluff, I hope I've done it justice :) Let me know what you thought in the comments! <3 (also check my new pfp, my friend drew me Asgardian style for my bday and I love it so much)

...

A memory. Which you now had to try and wake him up from.

Trying desperately not to panic, you thought hard. Would you be able to get into his mind and wake him up? You didn't have a better idea.

While you didn't know exactly how you were going to achieve this, you knew you had to try. Taking a deep breath and closing your eyes, you reached out to Loki with your mind. The minute you tried this another wave of pain engulfed you, and you felt a wild panic which didn't belong to you rise in your throat. Fighting down a sob, you pushed through it. You had to get him out.

Suddenly you felt yourself go lightheaded, as though all the blood had been drained from your brain. You felt yourself slipping, losing consciousness of your body, and then everything went black.

You landed on your knees on hard, rocky ground and had the breath knocked out of you, pain spiking through your kneecaps and thighs. Looking up through a haze of tears you found yourself on what appeared to be a mound of rock floating through space; everything was dark save for the tiny amount of light provided by the stars which glimmered far, far away. Before you'd even had time to take in any more detail than that, you were hit by a fresh bout of horrendous pain. Doubling over reflexively to try and protect yourself from the burning sensation which was slowly spreading up your torso, you grit your teeth and straightened up. Loki. You had to find him.

You didn't have to look very far. There were voices coming from behind the huge mound of rock you'd landed next to; you cautiously made your way around it, driven only by your desire to wake Loki up, and not wanting to see what you already knew was just the other side of this rock, you didn't want to look, you didn't want to look...

Thanos. You knew it was Thanos inadvertently, for who else could this horrifying-looking purple creature be? He was crouching on the floor in front of a large throne which had been cut into the mound of rock you'd landed on the other side of. In front of him there was a dark shape: a slumped, broken human form which you turned your gaze away from before you'd even looked properly, your heart contracting painfully. You couldn't bear it. Thanos was speaking in a low voice, but you didn't stop to hear what he might be saying, because across from the memory version of Loki who was sprawled before Thanos was your Loki, kneeling on the floor and watching his memory unfold with a stunned expression about twenty feet away.

Relief, a welcome respite from all of the horrible emotions you were feeling at this moment, coursed through you and you quickly made your way towards him. Before you reached him however, you heard memory-Loki speak. The sound of his rasping voice, fraught with pain, drew an involuntary sob from deep within your chest.

He said only one word: "No."

You could practically feel the anger radiating from Thanos, and knew what was about to happen before it did. The pain, when it hit, was the most excruciating, unbearable agony you could have ever imagined. Every fibre of your being was alight with agony; the extent of it so severe you didn't even notice as you hit the floor. Only after the feeling had subsided did you realise you'd been screaming.

Memory-Loki was shaking as Thanos spoke to him again, much like you as you staggered to your feet and stumbled the rest of the way towards your Loki, who hadn't batted an eyelash while you'd been feeling what his memory-self had felt. When you reached him you dropped to your knees in front of him and grabbed his shoulders, shaking him roughly.