Chapter eleven - In which you have to stay behind

Author's note: Sorry for the late update, I've only just got back from a fourteen hour rehearsal and show combo (it's twenty past eleven pm) and I am about to fall straight asleep :)) Comment if you enjoy, blah de blah, all the usual <3

The day after you had made the ground-breaking discovery that Loki could laugh, you finally felt well enough to come out of your room, a decision which seemed to make everyone rather happy, much to your surprise and delight. Whoever would have thought that your presence would be wanted by the Avengers? That had been yesterday, and you'd decided not to bring up the fact that Thor had told you about the argument everyone had had about you and using your magic in public purely because everyone had seemed to be in such a good mood. And besides, your throat was too sore for an argument which might involve yelling.

Today, however, was a different story. You were sat around in the living area eating breakfast, and everyone was present (even Clint, who was making a speedy recovery), so you decided to bring it up.

"So, is anyone going to tell me about the argument that went on when I was in my room?" you asked innocently, biting into your toast.

"For crying out loud Thor." Steve muttered, running a hand through his hair.

Thor remained silent, watching you from across the room as you chewed your toast, looking at each person in the room one by one, none of whom seemed to want to make eye contact with you, apart from Loki. He returned your gaze with a look that so clearly said 'be careful' it was almost as though he'd said it to you out loud.

"Did Thor tell you everything?" Nat asked, finally addressing you. You glanced at Thor, who subtly shook his head.

"Some of it. But I'd like to hear it from you guys if that's okay? Something about me being a weak link..."

The moment these words left your lips there was an outburst of protest: Thor yelling that he hadn't said anything like that, half the room telling Thor off and the other half protesting about what you had said. Loki closed his eyes momentarily at the explosion of noise and you saw his eyes move under his eyelids as he rolled his eyes and exhaled. You didn't want to be careful, you wanted to call people out.

"All we said was that it's not a great look for us, or you, if you're out in the field not knowing what you're doing."

Wow, leave it to Nat to give it to you straight.

"It's for your safety Y/N, first and foremost." Steve told you.

"Yeah, I get that. It just would have been nice for someone to tell me about all this to my face." you replied, and again you were met with silence.

"There is an easy way to solve this."

Of all the voices in the room, you had not been expecting to hear Loki's. Everyone looked up in surprise, but no one said anything, so Loki interpreted this as an invitation to continue.

"She needs training." he said; you nodded in agreement, but before you could open your mouth to back him up, Tony spoke.

"No, absolutely not." he said, as he walked over to stand by where you were sat on your stool almost protectively.

"Tony, why not? It's a logical- "

"Yes, you need to be trained, but not by Reindeer Games."

Out of the corner of your eye you saw Loki sit up a fraction straighter, clenching his jaw. Thor shifted in his position stood by the wall, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Why is that?" you asked, unamused.

"Because I've arranged training for you already."

"And what if I don't- " you started saying, trailing off as JARVIS interrupted your sentence.