Chapter four - In which you babysit a god

Author's note: Hi there, guess who's updating instead of revising for their first exam which is in four days? Me, it's me, I am very stressed but instead of revising more I'm just posting more fanfic, which is not the best tactic. Wish me luck :) Hope you enjoy; comment if you do! x

...

It had been a week, and you hadn't made a lot of progress with Loki.

He had said a total of twelve words to you in seven days (six 'hello's, three 'sorry's, a 'yes' and then yesterday, 'you're welcome') (not that you were counting), and earlier had acknowledged you with a nod when you entered the room, which he only did otherwise for Thor, so at least that was something.

In all fairness though, you only really saw him when you were all together with the others to eat. All you seemed to do at the moment was train, eat and sleep, which was starting to get quite tedious, but your desire to be able to accompany the others on a mission overruled any sour feelings you had towards your current schedule. It meant that you looked forward to the evenings, when usually everyone could kick back and relax for a few hours before bed; it was the time of day you looked forward to the most.

It was that time right now; you'd all just finished eating and you were clearing up the dishes with Buck and Steve while the others had a heated debate about some politician. 'The others' didn't include Loki, who probably didn't know who the current politicians were, and whose eyes were fixed on the TV, watching but not seeing, you could tell.

After a good five minutes of arguing, Tony leapt to his feet.

"Jeez Tony, chill out, it's just-"

"No, there's been an attack. We need to leave, now." Tony explained, staring at his phone as he ran from the room, calling JARVIS.

Your heart leapt into your throat, this was it, you were finally going to go on a mission!

"Y/N, you'll have to stay here with Loki... are you gonna be okay?" Steve asked, with a pointed look at Loki, who hadn't moved.

"Wh- I'm not coming with you?" you asked, your heart sinking.

"Too risky Y/N, you're not trained up yet." Natasha told you as she followed Tony speedily from the room.

"Are you gonna be alright?" Steve repeated, concern written all over his face.

"Yeah, sure." you replied flatly, turning to back to finish the dishes.

"If you need us, just call, okay?"

"Thanks." you said, trying to sound enthusiastic about staying back with Loki while the others all went off on a mission together.

Steve left, and the room was empty save for you and Loki. Neither of you spoke, him still staring intently at the TV and you doing the dishes as slowly as possible. A minute later Tony came sprinting back in in his Iron Man suit, which was quite an impressive sight; even Loki averted his gaze from the TV for a moment to look at him.

"Kid... you gonna be okay?"  Tony panted breathlessly.

"Yes, go, I can look after myself." you said pointedly.

"Just – keep an eye on him, alright?" he called over his shoulder as he ran from the room again.

Another minute later there was a roar from the roof as the Quinjet took off, and you watched miserably out of the windows as the team flew off into the darkness.

Great. This is exactly how you'd wanted your evening to go.

You suddenly became aware of Loki watching you, watching the team disappear out of the window, and that searing pain shot through your neck and skull again. You gasped in pain, grabbing at the back of your head and dropping the plate you'd been holding, which smashed on the floor.