Chapter seventy seven - Denial

Thor carried you back into the compound and sat with you until you'd calmed down, shooing Bruce away who kept trying to come near you with medical equipment. It took the best part of half an hour for you to stop sobbing, and when you finally did you felt as though your head was going to split in two.

Finally, Thor allowed Bruce to come near you and put a needle in your arm to give you blood. You trusted him to do whatever; he'd saved you countless times before.

Thor was holding your hands tightly.

"I get the feeling you know something I don't about him." he said to you, referring to Loki. You nodded, taking deep, shuddering breaths to calm yourself enough to speak.

"Thanos didn't kill him." you told him, and Thor smiled, shaking his head.

"I knew it." he said quietly, actually smiling.

"He took one of the escape pods and found me on Titan- that's where the ship took us after Heimdall sent Bruce and I to Midgard..."

"Whoa, whoa. Slow down. Start from when you left Loki and I with Thanos." Thor told you. And so you told him everything.

"He was worried about you. He was so relieved when he heard that you'd made it out alive." you kept saying. It seemed important to let him know. Thor was crying too by the time you'd finished.

"Hey, you wanna come in? We'll get you up to speed." Nat said, poking her head into the room you and Thor were sat in together. Thor swiftly wiped his eyes.

"Yeah... hey." you said, standing up gingerly and making your way towards her. She hugged you tightly, but not too tightly.

"I like your hair."

Nat laughed.

"I'm so glad you're okay. You know, this is the first good news we've had in weeks." she told you, as she and Thor helped you back into the room whilst still being hooked up to a bag of blood.

In the room already were Steve, Bruce, Tony, Pepper, Nebula, a raccoon which apparently had the ability to talk, and the man who had been on the lawn who you hadn't recognised earlier. Stood in the corner with her arms crossed was the woman who'd saved you from space; you'd forgotten all about her.

All eyes turned to you as you entered.

"You doing alright kid?" Tony asked you, also hooked up to a bag of blood.

"I'm okay. Nebula, you okay?" you asked across the room, and Nebula nodded, giving you a grateful look. You saw the raccoon next to her look up at you, and heard him think that he liked you.

At the front of the room a was a holographic casualty report listing the names and faces of people who had been lost. There were hundreds of them, thousands, and you knew that it wasn't just the people on this list.

Bucky's face appeared briefly on the holograph. It felt like someone had hit you in the stomach with something very large and solid.

"Buck-" you whispered, your eyes filling with fresh tears. You hadn't thought you'd had any left.

"Sit down Y/N." Thor said gently, helping you into a chair.

"Who else? Is Clint...?"

"Clint is fine... he lost his whole family though. Wanda is gone. Vision obviously... well, he was dead before it happened. A few others who you don't know..." Nat filled you in, talking softly as though it would be any less awful to hear.

"Who's this?" you asked Nat quietly, nodding to the man you didn't recognise, who was talking to Tony.

"That's Rhodey, we told you about him before, right?"