Chapter Eighteen: It's Too Early For That

Chapter Eighteen

Luke

Waking up with Melody in my arms always put me in a good mood, even though I was extremely tired. Normally, she was awake before me but this time, she was still sleeping soundly. She had a rough night, trying to figure things out about the art show. She was going to be twelve weeks then and would most likely have a hard time showing it.

I didn't even bother waking up Melody. I slowly got up from the bed, trying not to wake her. It was tough, but I was able to. Before I left, I pulled the blanket on top of her.

Matt and Crystal were already awake, eating breakfast in the kitchen. Both Matt and I decided to stay in this hotel room instead of the one for our basketball team because they were always doing idiotic things. That, and I loved sleeping with Melody in my arms.

"Good morning, future brother-in-law," Matt said with a smile as I sat down at the table.

I glared at him. "You're so funny."

"I'm hilarious," Matt agreed, even though I was being sarcastic. "But seriously, I think it might happen one day. I mean, you're already having two children together."

"Are you going to marry her?" Crystal asked.

I raised an eyebrow. "I just recently turned eighteen and Melody is seventeen. It's not like I'm just going to go buy a ring and propose to her. We still have a year of high school to finish."

"I didn't mean sometime soon," Crystal said. "I just meant in the future. Like maybe after you graduate or something........"

"I don't know," I said.

"I'm pretty sure you do," Matt objected.

I blinked a few times. "W-what are you talking about?"

"Do you want to marry my sister?" Matt asked.

"I told you, I don't know," I repeated. "It's too early to think about that."

"Do you love my sister?" Matt asked.

"Of course I do," I replied. "With all my heart."

"Then you should at least think about marrying her," Matt said. "I know you're eighteen and she's seventeen, but you do know that the legal age to marry in Vermont is eighteen, right?"

"So what are you saying?" I asked.

Matt shrugged. "You should be able to figure it out."

I had a slight idea what Matt was saying, but I didn't know why. "What, you want me to marry her when she turns eighteen? We still have a year of high school left."

"So?" Matt asked. "Did you know that people were even younger when they got married a long time ago?"

"Yeah, but that was a long time ago," I pointed out. "This is the twenty-first century. Not everyone gets married as soon as they turn eighteen."

"True," Crystal piped up. "But you said 'not everyone'. Maybe you and Melody and a couple who does."

I sighed. Did I see myself marrying Melody in the future? Of course. However, like I told Matt, we still had a year of school left. I know we were having two kids together already, but still. Couples who marry young were more likely to get a divorce, and I didn't want to take that chance. Even though we would still be connected by the twins, it wouldn't be the same as being together.

"He's not replying," Matt said to Crystal. "Me thinks he does."

"Guys, it's too early to think about that," I said.

"Think about what?" someone asked. I looked at the archway and saw Melody, who looked very tired. I didn't want to tell her, but I thought she was showing a bit now that she wasn't wearing my sweater.

"Nothing," I said, giving Matt and Crystal a look that told them to keep their mouth shut.

"We were just having a lovely discussion," Matt said. "And Luke was about to agree to it."

"No, I wasn't," I objected. "I told you, it's too early."

Melody looked very confused as she sat down beside me. "No, it's okay. Keep secrets from me. I'm okay with that."

"Sorry," I said. "It's nothing important. I promise."

"Says you," Matt muttered. Luckily, Melody didn't hear.

"Are you hungry?" I asked Melody.

Melody raised her eyebrow. "When am I not? I'm starving."

"Then I'll make you some breakfast," I said as I stood up from the table.

"That's something you don't see often," Matt said.

"What? Me cooking for Mel?" I asked. "I do it all the time."

"No, not that," Matt said. "Luke not telling Melody everything."

Melody looked at me, her head tilted to the side. "I thought you said it was nothing important."

"It isn't important," I lied. "Matt is just going crazy."

"To change the subject," Crystal interrupted, making me very thankful. "Any names yet?"

"Two," Melody said, seeming to forget about the fact I wasn't telling her something.

"Can we know?" Crystal asked.

Melody shook her head. "I want to know the genders first before we tell anyone. Though, it took me a long time to convince Luke to tell me. He picked them out."

"When will you be able to find out what you're having?" Crytsal asked.

Melody shrugged. "Depends. Some find out early, some find out later. I have another appointment when when I'm fourteen weeks and it's possible I could find out then, but it will have to be confirmed later."

"What are the names?" Matt asked.

"Didn't you hear what your sister said?" I asked. "We want to find out the genders first before telling anyone."

"Lame," Matt scoffed. "And after everything I've ever done for my dear sister."

"You'll find out sooner or later," Melody said. "Now shush. Luke is making me breakfast and I wanna eat in peace."