Chapter Three: Speak Up

Chapter Three

Melody

Right after Crystal and I finished unpacking, we both headed down to the gym in the hotel to watch the basketball team's practice. My focus while they practiced was Luke, considering everything that was going on with him. I did notice his personal score was descending a lot. He used to make almost every shot. Now he barely makes one.

When Luke sat down after missing yet another shot and took a long sip out of his water bottle. I moved down the bleachers and sat beside Luke. "So......." I said. "Wanna talk?"

"About what?" Luke asked as he put his water bottle down.

"About your......you know. Family."

"Melody, don't," Luke said. "I told you, I don't want to talk about it."

"Come on, Luke," I said. "You know your average in basketball is dropping, a lot. Don't you want to talk about it?"

Luke sighed. "I appreciate it, Mel. I really do, but......." He looked to make sure nobody was looking before lowering his voice. "How would you feel if you found out you weren't who you thought you were?"

"I would talk to someone about it," I answered. "Which you should do. Your mom......"

Luke scoffed. "Like I'm talking to that liar."

"She's your mom."

"She lied to me," Luke reminded. "My whole life. I haven't said a single word to her since and I plan to keep it that way until I turn eighteen and can afford to move out on my own."

"Luke......"

"Don't take her side, Mel," Luke said. "You know she lied to me and you know what she lied to me about."

"I'm not taking anyone's side," I objected. "But the least you could do is talk to her about it. Maybe there's more to it than you think."

"I am not talking to her!" Like said loudly, getting attention from the whole basketball team. He sighed and stood up. "I'm going to get some fresh air......" He walked out the back door of the gym.

I sighed as Matt walked over to me. "Trouble in paradise?" he asked as once he sat down beside me.

"Yeah," I said, sighing.

"By any chance, do you know what's going on with your boyfriend?" Matt asked.

"Yup."

"Care to tell me?"

"I can't," I said. "I promised not to tell anyone. I didn't even think it would affect his basketball."

"......You didn't break up with him, did you?" Matt asked.

"What? No, I didn't," I said. "I'm just trying to convince him to talk to someone about it, but he's just so stubborn. He doesn't want to talk about it and it happened months ago."

"He really should talk about it," Matt said.

"I know," I said with yet another sigh. "I know what's going on and why he's acting different, but he won't actually tell me how he feels about it. It's like he's trying to avoid it completely, but he can't. He's going to have to live with it his whole life."

"Mel," Matt said a bit worringly. "You're......you're not......pregnant, are you?"

"Matt!" I exclaimed. "No, I'm not! What's going on with Luke has nothing to do with me."

Matt sighed of relief. "Oh, thank goodness. The way you were talking was getting me worried for a second. So, if it doesn't involve you, then how do you know what's up?"

"I was there when it all happened," I explained. "So he told me the full story and hadn't talked to anyone about it."

"Well, it's affected basketball," Matt concluded. "A lot."

"I noticed," I said. "And the only way he'll ever play the same way again is if he talks to someone, but he's stubborn as a donkey."

Luke walked back into the gym just then, looking very angry. He sat down beside me. "Guess who showed up?"

"Robinson?" Matt asked.

"Robinson," Luke spat.

Robinson High was our school's number one rivalry. They were the most concieted and obnoxious basketball team ever, especially the caption, Kade. He was a huge flirt and was the main reason Luke and his ex-girlfriend, Annie, broke up. But thay wasn't it. Kade did......other stuff, as well. Stuff I hate mentioning.

The door opened once more time, followed by a very obnoxious cheer. Robinson High came strutting in, smriks written every single one of their faces.

Matt stood up while Luke stayed beside me.

"Well, well, well," Kade said. "If it isn't Lakemoat High, the loser team? Came early to Miami for the practice?"

"No," Matt said. "We came early to get away from you."

Kade snorted. "Why? Are you afraid of us?"

Briggs scoffed. "As if. We could beat you anytime."

"Then why didn't you beat us during the competition?" Kade asked.

"Because you made our captain lose concentration," Briggs reminded. During the competion, our school had a game against Robinson. While Kade was on the side, he started flirting with Annie, Luke's ex-girlfriend, which caused Luke to lose concentration and miss the final shot and lose the game.

"Kind of like now?" Kade asked, raising his eyebrows ar Luke. I looked at Luke, who seemed very lost in thought, and sort of bothered by it.

I nudged Luke, who snapped out of his thoughts and looked at me. "What?"

"Your team is probably the most unorganized team ever," Kade commented with a smirk. "A team captain who can't concentrate whose best friend is dating his ex-girlfriend shouldn't be running the team." Luke, surprisingly, didn't have a comeback. He just looked away from Kade and went back to whatever thought he had earlier, to which Kade scoffed at. "Bravo, Lakemoat High. Bravo." They walked out of the gym, laughing.

"Luke," Briggs snapped. "Do us a favor and concentrate!"

Luke looked up at Briggs. "I'll try......" he muttered."

"Trying isn't good enough!" Briggs said. "Whatever the hell is going on in your head needs to leave before Nationals starts next week!"

"It's been in my head for months," Luke said. "It can't just leave! I can't get it out of my head!"

"Then talk to someone about it," Matt encouraged. "Trust me, it will help."

Luke sighed and looked at me. "Mel?" he asked, gesturing his head to a corner far away from everyone else. I got up and followed him there. Once the basketball team started practicing again, Luke said, "I haven't been completely honest with you."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "About what?"

"The......the reason I haven't been myself lately," Luke said. "It doesn't just have to do with the fact my mom hadn't told me and I had to find out by my 'dad' saying it."

"Then what is it about?" I asked.

"I want to find my birth father."