Chapter One: The Long Flight

Chapter One

Melody

I sighed and rested my head back against the somewhat comfortable airplane seat. Unfortunately for me, it turned out I get airsick. I may have already used the airbags once.......Or three times.

"Don't worry, Melody," my friend Crystal assured. "We'll be there in less than five hours."

"Great........" I muttered, releasing a long sigh. Honestly, it was my first flight ever and I did not enjoy it at all. July must have been a popular time to go to Miami because the plane was packed. I was between both Crystal and my uncle Daryl. Uncle Daryl fell asleep minutes after the flight took off.

The reason why I was on my way to Miami was because I was one of the lucky hundred people out of all of America to be chosen for an art show in Miami throughout all of July. The art show was going to take place sometime during the third week of July, but they people in charge thought it would be nice if the participants could work on their art in Miami for inspiration.

"Here's a trick," Crystal said. "Close your eyes and think of all the wonderful things in Miami." I closed my eyes. "The heat, beaches, cute boys......"

I opened my eyes and raised my eyebrows. "Cute boys? Don't you have a boyfriend? Matt Maynard? My older brother?"

Crystal swatted her hand. "I never said I think those boys are cute. I told you to think of the cute guys."

"Yeah, you remember Luke, right?" I asked. "Captain of the basketball team? Winner of the Math Competition in November? My boyfriend?"

Crystal sighed. "Then close your eyes and think of Mr. Luke Cosgrove and surely you'll feel better. Just think, in less than five hours, you'll finally be able to see him again. And I can finally stop seeing you mope around, complaining about how lonely you are."

"Haha," I muttered. "Well, how about you try having both your brother and boyfriend go to Miami a week before you?"

"I'm an only child," Crystal pointed out. "And my boyfriend did go to Miami a week before me, so ha!"

"True," I agreed, "but I live with only my brother and he had to leave a week before me, as well as Luke. I was all alone for a week."

"Not true," Crystal objected. "Didn't you stay with your aunt and uncle for the week? Okay, let's end this argument and talk about something else. How do you think the basketball team will do in Nationals?"

I shrugged. "Honestly, I'm a bit worried for Luke. He hasn't been himself since the whole mediation thing with his family and that happened near the end of December. Basketball was done by then, so I'm wondering if his mind will be occupied with everything during Nationals."

"What exactly happened during the mediation?" Crystal asked. "His mom got the custody of Luke and his siblings. Isn't that what he wanted?"

"Well, yeah," I said. "But something else happened during it. I can't say anything because he made me promise not to tell anyone. He wanted to figure things out for himself, though he's not any closer than he was in December......"

"Is the thing that happened, like, bad?" Crystal asked.

"Not physically, no," I replied honestly. "But emtionally wise. He's been a wreck since it all happened."

"He doesn't seem that different," Crystal pointed out.

"Because he's trying to shrug it off," I told her, "like nothing happened. He won't even talk to me about it anymore."

"Well, I hope he's able to figure everything out," Crystal said.

"Same," I replied honestly with a sigh as I once again rested my head against the seat. "I really do."

"Have you tried talking to him?" Crystal asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Many times. I always try bringing it up, but he just tells me to leave it alone. That happens about once or twice a week. I just......I wish he would talk to someone about it. Me, his mom, a councilor......Anyone."

Crystal was sileny for a minute before saying, "Can't you just give me a small hint? You won't technically be telling me!"

I sighed. "No, I can't. I promised him I won't say a single word about it, which means no hints. Our promises mean a lot, Crystal."

"Pfft, he wouldn't know!"

"I'm not giving you a hint," I told her. "I'm not breaking any promises Luke and I make."

"Isn't that cute?" Crystal muttered. "By the way, I'm asking because I care about Luke......Any way that convinces you?"

I shook my head as I pulled my phone out of my pocket and unwrapped the earphones. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to my favorite playlist while I wait painfully for the flight to be over."