"No, they don't." He sighs softly, his blue eyes looking at me with adoration. "Sometimes, I feel like I know you, but then you shake my world, Rose. You change everything. You make everything so easy."

My chest rises and falls rapidly, my body moving closer to him on its own accord, desperate to close the distance between us. Josh tightens his arm around my waist, and my hands rest on his chiselled chest, feeling at a loss for words. His blue eyes darken with longing and swirling of emotion that made me gasp, his gaze flickering to my lips then back to my eyes.

I felt like the happiest girl in the world who didn't need to care about the world's standards and expectations. I didn't have to pretend to be someone I'm not in front of Josh, because his adoring eyes filled my heart with so much joy, I forgot all my problems and worries. He read my face and mind before even I had the chance; he's the one who sees right through me and gets me on the path to accept and stop blaming myself for everything happening around me.

Because of Josh, I felt like the carefree, badass, Supergirl Rose again, someone who I was afraid to be for so long, and it feels fan-fucking-tastic.

"Josh," I breathe, leaning in closer.

"I'm right here, baby." His husky voice sent shivers down my spine, and I shut my eyes.

I took breathing for granted until he knocked the air out of my lungs, until our breaths mingled as one with the way his lips connected with mine. His mouth was so warm, the caress of his lips softer than fur, and I opened my mouth with a low moan, my hands trailing up and down Josh's hard chest that contracted under my touch.

All my worries, stress, and problems melt away like ice cream under the summer sun as he savours my lips, the quickening of his breathing matching my own as our mouths move in sync with each other. I rise on my tippy toes, my arms clasping around his neck as I take control of the kiss, my tongue seeping inside his mouth, getting a sexy moan out of him.

Josh tangles a possessive hand in my hair, slanting my head to the side, deepening the kiss as we both groan softly, pulling each other impossibly close.

A smouldering heat radiates through my body; I never knew a kiss so soft and innocent would feel so intimate and electrifying.

***

I bury my face in my pillow, the lunatic smile almost breaking my face. Not even two seconds later, I flip over on my bed, staring into the ceiling, and my smile only grows bigger, my fingers going up to my lips, the euphoric warmth spreading blossoming inside me.

That kiss was the best one in the history of kisses. It stole my unspoken words and my heart. One kiss and I felt like I was walking on air; one kiss and my body and lips were craving for the lovely heat that flushed my body once again.

I decided to keep Josh's leather jacket and wore it for the rest of the evening, his familiar scent bringing my heart comfort. He could always get a new one.

Gabby called me later that night, asking me how I was holding up after what happened at the library.

The euphoria left my body when Gabby mentioned that, and I was transported back into the darkness, the white fog and black smoke being the only thing I saw before Malvada was right in my face, telling me that I was going to die.

I hadn't told Josh about that yet. I didn't tell him about anything we found at the library and what I witnessed. He wouldn't judge me, but I didn't want to put his life at risk and create more problems for him or anyone.

For now, I needed to talk with Mason and get him to convince his grandfather to talk with me.

When I told Gabby briefly about why Josh was here and what went down between us, she nearly screamed at the top of her lungs, and I almost hung up on her before she apologized and laughed excitedly, telling me how happy she was for me. The second I told her that Josh and I kissed, Gabby lost her voice for a few seconds before she started screaming like the psychopath she is, the euphoria radiating off of her in waves.

I told her with a wide smile on my face, "It felt like everything I wished for all in one kiss. I don't know what we are at this point, but nobody has kissed me like that before."

Gabby scoffs, "Emma, nobody has ever kissed you before."

I laugh and roll my eyes at her stupidness. We carried out the conversation for a little longer, laughing and joking around before she brought up Clarice, asking me if I had seen her today.

"No, not yet."

"Chica-"

"No, it's not that I blame myself. I-" I pause, recollecting my thoughts. "I'm going to see Claire tomorrow."

Even though she's in a coma, I knew she'd want me to come to see her. I couldn't be a bad sister and ignore her like that. I wasn't afraid of what my mom had to say about my presence there, but I was going tomorrow, and that's that.