9.3 || Field Experience

Start from the beginning

He started off in the direction he had gone before, motioning for Josh to follow. They made a wide circle around the source of the orc noises, but after a minute, they arrived at the spot Akachi mentioned.

"Here." Akachi pointed behind a large, mossy tree root. Or log, he wasn't sure. A small gap separated it and another, but Akachi had pointed at the spot as far away from the gap as possible. "You are not to look out until you hear Cale. They shouldn't see you, but I'd rather you wait until they are fully distracted. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Josh said.

Akachi examined him for a moment, then turned and took off in Cale's direction. Josh rolled his eyes as he crouched down in his spot and deposited his backpack on the ground, trying to ignore how close the orcs were. Why did nobody seem to believe he would stay out of trouble? Both Xander and Akachi had been hesitant when he agreed to follow their orders.

Okay, maybe he liked to charge in at combat training and try more reckless strategies, but that didn't have to translate to not listening to his superiors.

The earth trembled beneath him a moment before he heard a crash past the log. The orcs cried out as large and small objects slammed against the ground. Josh rushed to the gap and peered out at the situation. His mouth fell open.

The orcs had decided to rest underneath the thick branches and roots of a large, twisty tree. An earth pillar had exploded from the ground, splintering parts of the tree and probably sending the orcs flying since they were sprawled around the area along with wooden clubs.

Josh had seen many types of orcs in video games, but he still gaped as the real things rushed to get back on their feet. They were six feet of rippling muscles and lean bodies. Most of the orcs shared the same features—arms a bit too long to be proportionate with the rest of their body, large under bites with sharp tusks, brows jutting out over murky brown eyes, long ears that curved at the tip, and yellow claws on their hands and feet. There were some differences between them, like tusk lengths varied and some had horns coming from their temples. The biggest difference, though, was that four of the orcs didn't share the same dingy gray skin as the others.

Although still dulled in shade, two of the orcs were orange, one was blue, and the other was brown.

The monstrous creatures had just gotten to their feet—some with clubs, others without—when Cale and Akachi burst from different spots of the forest. Cale brought his two swords down on one of the orcs with clubs while Akachi slammed his now metal-coated fist into the back of the brown orc's head.

Those are the charged ones.

The orcs broke in half to attack the Paladins. Cale stayed at the edges of the group targeting him. He side-stepped and spun every couple of seconds, whatever it took to keep the orcs in front of him. He was a cyclone of blade strikes, his swords darting out to slice the monsters with his constant movements. An orc almost got around his assault, but then an earthen pillar shot from the ground straight into its chest, sending it flying away.

Akachi, on the other hand, fully immersed himself in his adversaries. He ducked past most of their hits, whether it be their hands or clubs. The strikes that landed didn't faze him. He struck out with precise punches and kicks that left the orcs stumbling away or thumping to the ground.

But no matter how often Cale sent the orcs flying or Akachi rammed his fists into them, they kept getting back up and attacking again. Only a killing blow would defeat them, according to what he remembered from his classes, at least.

Wait, did you say something, Boomer?

Boomer sighed. The ones with a different skin color like the one Cale is attacking right now? The one in question was the blue one. Those are the charged orcs. Creatures from the Energy Realm absorb as much energy from things as they can, and when they do, they can become 'charged' with the energy and use it. At least until they run out.