9.3 || Field Experience

The rain ended sometime while Josh slept, but it left its mark the next day in the slickness of the earth and the thin mist coating the terrain. The sun beat down. Mixed with the humid air, it had Josh sweating only fifteen minutes into the walk. He hadn't bothered equipping his cloak. Instead, he had to deal with the chainmail shirt Akachi had instructed him to put on.

Josh readjusted the armor yet again with a frown. His backpack made the darn thing keep pinching him. He shouldn't have to wear it. It wasn't like he had to be in combat anyways.

A bird chirped nearby. Josh glanced at Akachi. Normally a bird in a forest wouldn't be such a big deal, but he'd started to notice that every time he heard one, Akachi tilted his head toward the noise. After a moment, Akachi came to a stop.

"The orcs are nearby."

Josh's hand fell to his sword hilt as he examined their surroundings. He didn't see or hear anything. What had tipped Akachi off?

Akachi crept forward. Josh winced as he followed. Akachi and Cale could walk with only the barest of noise. It seemed like Josh stepped on every possible twig he could.

They broke from the orc's path to circle around a group of trees. He heard grunts and grumbles about a hundred yards after they had diverged from the path. Seriously, how had Akachi known about the orcs?

Probably the birds.

Josh resisted a scoff at Boomer's words. You're hilarious.

What? You were wondering, so I told you. He knows because the birds told him so.

Eying Akachi's back, Josh said, I know he was reacting weird to the birds, but I don't remember speaking animal languages being a Paladin power.

Boomer sighed. Apparently neither is being smart. Ignoring Josh's exclamation at that remark, his dragon continued, Being bonded to a dragon enhances parts of the soul that are already there. Some people become more attuned to aspects of themselves and are better at certain skills. Akachi really likes animals, so being bonded lets him extend his soul to them.

Oh. Well, it seemed Akachi could talk to birds in a way then. Josh fought back a frown. It was awesome, and he wished he could do such things, but he couldn't even summon lightning, much less have some sort of special power.

You just

Akachi held out an open palm, and Josh tuned out Boomer to focus on the mission. They came to a stop. Akachi turned toward him and Cale. He spoke, but it was so soft, Josh could only understand him by watching his lips.

"I'm going to check their numbers. You two stay here."

Akachi slipped away. Josh shifted his weight, trying to ignore that he had been left alone with Cale. Both of them were silent. The occasional orc grunts and hums of nature provided the only noise.

I'm not even there, and I feel awkward, Boomer said.

Thank you so much for your helpful input. Josh readjusted his shield and picked at his chainmail shirt. It clinked together. Cale shot him a glare that he struggled not to return.

Akachi returned moments later, though it felt like an eternity.  "There's twelve orcs," he said. "Four are charged."

Josh's eyebrows rose, but his unspoken question went ignored.

Cale grunted. "Annoying, but should be easy enough to handle."

Akachi nodded, then turned to Josh. "I also found a cluster of trees near the edge of the orcs' camp site. You can safely observe the battle from there. I'll take you to it. Cale, be ready to attack when I return."