Miles kneeled next to a dead body. His tan hands wrapped around the cold hands of the body. The brunette hair told Eren who it was. Caleb was dead.

A gasp comes from him in horror and Mikasa runs up to him to see what had happened. Her onyx eyes widen and she turns her gaze away. She covers her mouth in disgust. Caleb had died. At the realization, she turns back around and grabs onto (Y/n)'s forearm.

Hanji and Levi turn to give each other a look before walking up to them. They didn't need to see to know what had happened. Dread fills Levi knowing what was to come after they went back to the walls. His heart wrenches at the thought of the pain she was feeling.

He looks to his left to see the body. He didn't know what to say to comfort her. He looks over at her and she looks (down/up/straight) at him. Her lips part slightly and she speaks, "Small hands."

A snort comes from her and another as it turns into a manic laugh. She steps back until her back was pushed against the stone wall. Her laugh dies down, but her gaze stays fixated on the ground, "Tell me...who?"

Levi knew what she was asking, but he didn't know how it would affect her. He looks at her, "Armin."

Her lips form a smile, "I see."

"We are going to the basement, are you coming with us?" Levi asks. He wanted to comfort her, but the time wasn't right. They were still in titan territory and they needed to get out of Shiganshina as soon as possible. Comforting words would have to wait until they were in the safety of the walls.

(Y/n) simple shakes her head. Levi takes a step towards her, but she responds, "Go with them. I also have to get my mother's journals."

And just like that, she straightens her posture, stretches out her neck, and walks into the building with no further words. He stares after her fleeing figure. In his heart, he knew that he should go with her, but his mind was pulling him towards the basement. He needed to know what Erwin died wanting to know.

Eren and Mikasa silently take a last look at Caleb's body before heading up the stairs. Ever since her parents' deaths, she never thought death would be able to affect her so deeply. When she entered the Survey Corps she never thought that death would be able to affect her. To be able to bring out emotions she felt so long ago.

But, with Hannes's death, with Caleb's death, and Armin almost dying there has been a spur of emotions inside of her. For once in so long she was afraid of death, but what made that fear stronger was the way her friends reacted to it. 

She saw in their eyes how they were losing it. She saw the sadness in Eren's eyes and all she wanted to do was to hold him forever to protect him. She felt the same away every time she saw (Y/n) cry. She wouldn't dare tell the (h/c) haired girl that she sometimes would hear her cry in the late evening. 

Mikasa had once seen the sweet interactions between her cousin and childhood friend. She had witnessed the way his eyes would longly stare at her and the way he would cup her cheek so delicately. When she had seen that it was the first time she understood that the strongest people were the most vulnerable. It was when she realized that no matter how strong she was, that she would never be able to protect Eren because of her vulnerability.

Eren looks back at her, pulling her away from her thoughts, "This is it..."

"Yeah..." Mikasa mumbles, her onyx eyes sorrowfully gaze at the house she once called home.

It was painful to enter her old home after everyone was gone. It felt so empty compared to the lively nights where her mother, brother, and she would spend their time playing games while the tavern boomed downstairs. She walks into the kitchen that had the old wooden table they would sit at to feast on their dinner.