Chapter 15

Caleb Holt

Caleb slowly steps forward, placing the basket on the table in front of her. She notices a letter in the basket, "What is this?"

"I shouldn't have reacted the way I did and I shouldn't have slapped you either, I was in the wrong" Caleb says as he watches his sister shift in her seat uncomfortably, "I'm sorry."

"You said you didn't want to see me again, so why are you here?" (Y/n) asks and licks her bottom lip in anticipation of his answer. She didn't know what to do. Her hands were trembling.

"You told me your truth, and it's only fair I tell you my truth," he says nervously.

(Y/n) stands up from her seat, giving in to his request, "We'll be back."

They watch her leave the room with Caleb. The two walk down the hallway and out of the castle, the half-moon being the only source of light. He faces her, his black eyes scanning her face.

"What's your truth?" (Y/n) asks, her eyes glued on his tall figure waiting for him to say something.

"When I started living in Stohess, I ran into some trouble," Caleb explains, his eyes watching her expression, "I was walking down the Red District when I came across a man. He handed me a letter, threatening me that if I wanted to save my mother and you, I would do as the letter says."

"I was confused by that statement, but something told me to seek the man out" he continues, "When I met him he presented himself as Kenny the Ripper, you know about him right? He was the man running around killing MPs."

"Basically he told me that he was tasked with assassinating the Holt family because dad was doing something illegal in the tavern and it pissed off some rich people in Sina, but he didn't want to kill someone innocent, surprisingly. He said that he would keep you and mom safe if I followed along. So I did."

"I spent the first two years following what he said and giving him information on MPs so he could kill them. I turned against my own friends, let them die in cold blood. I didn't feel worthy of facing mom, of facing you. Which is why I lied in my letters. I'm so sorry," Caleb says. 

He kneels down in front of her and grabs her hands. He brings them to his face, crying as he remembers his friends dying because of him, "I've committed worse things than you have, yet I became angry with you. I'm so sorry, (Y/n). After mom died, you were there to comfort me. You've done so much for me and I pushed you away, I hurt you."

(Y/n) kneels down and brings Caleb's face up to look at her. She was crying at his confession, "I forgive you for what you've done, so don't let it ruin your sanity. You're still my brother no matter what."

Caleb cries into her hands, he had been holding onto that secret for so long that it had worn him down. It had made him lose his sanity over the years until he took (Y/n) in. Spending time with her was worth what he had done to keep her safe. So his aggressive reaction tore him apart and ate away at his heart.

"Caleb, we're okay" (Y/n) whispers as she brings him into a hug, "So don't beat yourself over it."

"But I hit you" Caleb whispers back and grips onto her shirt, "I raised my hand against you."

"Yeah, and you're going to let me get revenge" (Y/n) whispers deviously and pulls away from her brother. Before he could ask her, she slaps his cheek so hard that his body comes crashing down onto the ground, "Now I fully forgive you."

The brunette lets out a laugh through his tears causing her to laugh too. They stand up and wipe away the tears. He envelopes her in a tight hug, "Let's go back, I want to eat my lemons."