Prologue

There they went, talking about the different landscapes they could find if they ventured far enough outside of Wall Maria. It was fun watching them, especially seeing how the blonde boy's eyes would light up and how the brunette boy would make endless promises.

"They're crazy" the (h/c) haired girl whispers so only her raven-haired friend could hear.

"I know, but it's cute isn't it?" the raven-haired girl whispered back, slightly smiling at how the two boys kept getting excited.

They were all sitting by the river on the stone steps. The two joy-filled boys were sitting on the stone ledge staring down at a book about the outside world while the two young girls sat lower on the steps, staring in wonder at the boys. It was nice seeing this, it was peaceful and a great distraction from whatever conflict they had earlier that day.

Food was becoming slightly scarce and expensive. It was clear that resources were slowly running out, but no one dared bring it up with the government. They lived in ignorance and that ignorance brought peace for the moment. The (h/c) haired girl thought knowing damn well what she was and that peace was something that could never be achieved. We're all sitting ducks, she thought, but it's so peaceful right now, we can worry about crazy titans later.

The sun was slowly setting, hiding behind the walls as birds flew through the orange sky. This was their cue for them to go back home. Armin grabbed onto the large book, tucking it under his small arm, "Well I have to go back home, my gramps is waiting for me."

"Alright, bye Armin" Eren shouted, a wide smile plastered on his face as he waved at his friend with his right hand.

Once the blonde had disappeared into the busy streets, Eren had turned back to face the girls, "Let's go home, (Y/n) we'll drop you off at your house."

"Alright, thank you" replied the girl with a sweet smile making the brunette slightly blush. He couldn't help but think about how pretty the girl was.

"You're blushing" whispered the raven-haired girl so only the boy could hear.

"Mikasa, don't you dare" the boy whispered harshly back at her, his blush deepening at the realization that he got caught.

(Y/n) just stared at them, wondering why they were whispering at each other. Before she could ask what they were whispering about, Eren glared at Mikasa one last time and walked up to (Y/n), grabbing onto her small hand and yanking her towards the way of their house. 

Mikasa just quietly walked after them. They walked through the busy streets of Shinganshina, watching the merchants close up their stands, and the children like them running back home in time for dinner. Before they could head up the hill where Eren and Mikasa lived they stopped in front of a tavern that was full of life and booze.

"Looks like I won't be getting any sleep tonight either," (Y/n) said with a sigh as her (e/c) eyes stared at the men already getting drunk and smoking their cigars, "It sucks trying to sleep when there's always some drunk fool trying to fight another drunk fool."

The other two children looked at their friend with a pitiful expression. They knew that living on top of a tavern was hard because of how loud it could get and they knew of the stories about the fights over card games and gambling that took place.

"You can always come and sleep at our house," Eren spoke up with a small smile, "My mom would surely be happy to let you stay."