55

It's the day before their first game in Nationals. Jackson's team has won Nationals before―his freshman year when Jackson didn't start yet―but the nerves still get to him. Caleb is also very antsy, walking around the apartment, stress eating, watching The Office reruns to calm himself down, then going to Lauren, then shutting himself up in his room, and then going for a walk around the block for some fresh air. Jackson considers it all as mostly for dramatics.

Either way, they are both wound up. Practice is pretty tense. Grim faces, mouths contorted into focus, hands planted on hips. Coach always tries to get them serious but also light hearted, which isn't easy. He usually makes them shit talk other teams and scrimmage at the beginning of practice just to get the usual pregame jitters out of their systems.

Practices before a big game are always very easy and relaxed, although they execute drills and simple plays with perfect form. After all, what happens in practice happens in the game.

When Jackson makes it home after Coach gives his before-nationals-inspirational-speech about seizing moments and being strong, beautiful athletes, Jackson can barely walk straight, his legs are almost trembling. He needs a distraction.

Luckily, Caleb and Jackson have a tradition that before an important game, they watch something together to distract themselves from the nerves. Tonight it will be the Bachelor episode from Monday that they naturally missed and only had time to watch at the end of the week.

As he's getting ready to eat dinner, Jackson's phone rings. It's Wes. As always, Jackson's heart skips a beat when he gets any notification from Wes. He answers quickly, not having the patience to wait a few seconds so as not to appear too desperate.

"Hey," Jackson says.

"Jackson," Wes says coolly. "I had a change of plans." Jackson's heart almost stops. "My meeting tonight was canceled." He deflates, just a little. "Could you come by the apartment tonight?"

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have to get to bed sort of early, and I don't want to be tired before the game tomorrow. Caleb and I are also going to watch an episode of the Bachelor." Jackson doesn't want Wes to think that he's being petty, when he really can't see him, so he adds, "I'm really sorry. I would go but..."

"No, it's okay." Wes pauses. "I am sorry I can't come tomorrow. I know I told you, but I just wanted to make sure you know."

"Really, it doesn't matter. I promise. We're supposed to win tomorrow anyways," Jackson says. "Well, sort of. But I promise it doesn't matter either way. I would never ask you not to go on an important business trip just because of me."

"As long as you know I'm sincerely sorry," Wes says.

"I do." Jackson smiles, realizing all his nerves for the game tomorrow had vanished while talking to Wes. "Thank you, it means a lot." He hears Caleb shout his name from the kitchen, telling him dinner is ready. "I think dinner is ready. I need to go before he chops my head off. I'll see you when you get back from London. Have a safe trip." Jackson hesitates, then adds, "I love you."

He hears Wes exhale softly on the other end. "I love you too."

Jackson hangs up, then shouts, "Coming!" and heads to the kitchen for Caleb's delicious specialty, pasta with tomato sauce.

"Come on, Jackson, the challah is getting cold!"

With a grin at Lauren's soft laugh at some antic or other he's surely performing right now and Caleb's motherly concern for him, Jackson joins them at the table for their last supper.

☆★☆

"Rebecca ain't shit," Caleb says, shaking his finger at the TV screen. The episode has just started and Caleb has already dived deep into the drama. Jackson can barely keep up sometimes.