Woof

I leaned over the table putting my forhead on the warm surface. Kida-kun was talking nonstop again. When I listen closely sometimes I hear a hint to something deeper but mostly it's nonsense.

Mikado sat next to him and a young girl sat next to me. Her name was Anri. I found myself glancing at her much too often and she would catch me sometimes as I hurriedly looked away.

She looked so normal, well...mostly. It reminded me of movies and books where you get to live a normal life, grow up in a nice family, go to school, take lessons, all that stuff.

Kida-kun told me several times she was taken for which she sincerely denied everytime with a blush.

Mikado would figit sometimes when she did. I wonder if they have been together. The conversation continues for another hour.

Out of the corner of my eye I see a small group of people walk in. Three boys, one girl. No. Tw- One man, one young man and a boy with a girlfriend? Or a family?

"It's Kida-kun! And Mikado-kun! It's been awhile!" The youngest boy calls out. The girl next to him chimes in "On a double date?"

I pick my head up fully and look at the new group. The older boy looks alot like...shit.

He looks me up and down before "Kobi?" I mentally shoot myself as he walks to me. "I thought you lived in Kyoto. When did you move here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knew Anri should have gone ahead. Kida-kun keeps talking nonsense and it's rude. Even Yuuto-san notices and glances her way from time to time.

Each time his eyes stop on Anri I can't help but move a little. I feel like if I don't then he will forget to look away. Not that he is required to look at anyone specifically.

("You should do a better job you know." I turn to look into Izaya's face which sports a playful grin. "After all, what good is a guard dog that can't bite?"

I stare into his high and mighty eyes "Woof." His face looks dumbfounded before it breaks into a large fit of laughter.

"Izaya, you will wake my patient. Now if you two would please let him sleep."

I went to the edge of the couch to pick up my bag walking to the door "Even the smallest breeds have teeth Izaya-san.")

I don't know why Izaya wants me to watch him, but I do it anyways. I can't help but feel protective. He came here just like I did, unaware of what to expect. The whole town is hard to take in.

The floorboards by the door creak as a group comes in. Kida-kun's friends are chatting until they notice us.

When I glance back at Yuuto-san he seems genuinely scared but I see him force his face back into its previous blank slate.

"It's Kida-kun, and Mikado-kun! It's been awhile!"

"On a double date?" Erika asks.

I feel a blush pull my cheeks down but I look back up just in time to see Kadota look at Yuuto-san like he was seeing a ghost.

"Kobi? I thought you lived in Kyoto. When did you move here?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pray to some random god for help when Kida-kun chimes in. "You guys know Maki-chan?"

"Maki-chan?" He takes a second look at me. "Hello again Kado-kun."

"You had better explain Dota-chin, Erika is about to cry." She says childishly...in third person?

"Maki-chan?" He queries.

"Adopted."

"When?" He looks worriedly.

"My old man kicked the bucket. The new one like his family name better. It's Yuuto Maki now."

He halfway smiles as he remembers the past. "Good to see you still breathing Kobi." He says it like nothing has changed.

"You too Kado-kun."

"Waaaaaaaah Dota-chin won't shaaaaaaaaaaaare!"

"It's not a matter of sharing."

I stood up and bowed to the now chattering group "I'm Yuuto Maki-san, it's a pleasure to meet you."

The girl, Erika begins listing their names. "I'm Erika, this is Walker. That old guy is Togusa. And you already know Dota-chin."

The started bickering over names and titles and in spite of myself I started laughing causing all eyes on me. "What's so funny?"

"You found your family. Despite all that talk of never needing anyone it's funny to see how perfect they are for you."

He scratches the back of his head while Erika and Walker beam. Togusa just sighs while smiling.

"Want to sit with us?" Kida-kun offers. They nod and we place more seats around the table.