The Family

Having the approval the blonde opens the door a crack and throws me into the room. I stumble forward and balance myself several feet in front of a large desk.

"Hello Yuuto. Do you know why we brought you here?" I could tell he was having a little difficulty with the language.

"Call me Kobi, it's easier."

His brown hair fell around his face. He looks pretty young to be a boss of some kind, maybe he is a relative just getting into the business.

"As in Colby?" He tips his green fedora away from his eyes suprised.

"Yeah" I blinked taken aback that he is the first to make that connection since most assume I am purely Japanese "How did you know?"

"A friend of mine... is a... relative of yours. He couldn't find you..." I laughed a little before waving my hands over my head. He didn't have any trouble at first, like he had prepared.

"I speak English if that helps."

His smile is kind and excited as he continues in his own language.

"We never found a lead until recently when your origional papers were transfered to someone new."

"Papers?"

"American birth certificate, travel papers, company holdings to be transfered, government stipend, and last but not least what your parents left you in their will." He lists.

"I don't have any of those, no one should, they were destroyed in the fire!"

"No. They are safe, but that isn't why we brought you here." Standing up he walks around the table to be face to face with me.

"What do you mean?"

He hands me a packet of papers with some kind of familiar symbol on the corner.

"Recently we had something stolen from us, we searched all possible locations for the perpetrator only to find out he was hired by another, just like this guy. They were hired by someone that has been stealing things from our family for years but this time we were ready. We prepared our paperwork to look correct with a couple of minor changes that would alter the effect of...well you get the idea. We hoped that the guy would use it on himself but turns out he just hired someone to figure out if it works. And it was this man."

The words of the packet explain in detail a list of drugs and the proper ways to prepare them with complicated words lining the page top to bottom.

On the last page a picture of a doctor with glasses looks bored. His evil smirk flashes in my mind as I remember seeing him.

"That is why you are here."

"Because I met him?"

"Because he met you. You were given something by him on that day."

"The fake" I caught on. "So what is it supposed to do anyways?"

"Well....it's sort of the family secret. There aren't many who know about us let alone know what we got."

His face is closed off like he has no intention of telling me but still held doubt on himself.

I see several brass darts sitting on the desk and I walk over to them looking around the room for the board.

His eyes follow me curiously as I walk to the opposite side of the room.

"Bullseye you tell me."

"What if you miss?"

"Do whatever you want."

He stops to think for a moment before nodding to himself.

"If you miss then you get to cook us dinner."

I laugh before preparing myself and whisper "You have no idea how lucky you are that I am a good shot."

I twist it and get a feel for the balance before lining my sights. The pressure in the room crawls to silence as my arm pulls back only to push forward in a straight lunge. The dart slips from my fingers in a quick glide and it begins to cut the air as it travels straight and true. I close my eyes out of habit and hear the swoosh end with its impaling into the board.

"That's amazing! Where did you learn to do something like that?"

I smile into his enthusiasm remembering when my mother used to encourage my abilities much the same way "It's all about the numbers."

"Numbers?"

"Oh. Um, using the trajectory and the balance with the distance and environmental stimuli...math."

I finish simply when I feel myself beginning an old debate.

"Firo, who is your young friend?"

"Maiza! When did you get back?"

'Firo' went to 'Maiza's' side with a smile. They spoke for a few minutes in a thickly accented English I could barely understand, which was further hindered by whispers.

The man Maiza must have heard something he didn't like because he turned a stern face upon his young friend. He looked back up at me...I think. Are his eyes always closed? Even so his face seems kind of withdrawn all of a sudden.

I look away and shuffle for my phone when I hear a vibrate.

[Hey, I heard from Kasuka that you were abducted! We're they aliens?!]

[No Celty-san, I was not kidnapped, I don't think. And no, they don't appear to be aliens.]

[I was asked to deliver you your coat, where are you?]

[I don't know at the moment but I'm fine without it]

"Who are you texting?"

I look up into the face of the man who was staring at me before. He speaks fluently like he learned it long ago.

"Someone I met recently, thay asked if they could deliver to me my coat. I think it's a past time for her to deliver things across the city."

I felt it buzz and looked down [No, no good. I will have to make sure you are safe anyways, I will go to Izaya if I have to.]

I shudder thinking about him "Would it be okay to meet her somewhere for it? She is worried about me. And honestly if I don't try she might blow this phone up and come anyways."

"Go with him Maiza, you need fresh air. It's a lot different here then America."

I look to Firo for answers but he only responds "I will keep my end of the deal. Don't worry. Go with Maiza then come back when you are done."

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Okay guys, should I keep this story going? Please let me know your thoughts, I'm torn between a few endings and only one of them is really pretty short.

Let me know oh glorious readers ;-)