Sexism/Slavery (conversation)*kinda*

Hey.

 I don't know much about both of these. I didn't want to skip over these two either because I think they are both really important.

I also felt like this wasn't something I could explain well so I am recommending a video for sexism and a chapter of a book here on wattpad about slavery for you to read. Please take the time to watch/read those.

SEXISM

I remember reading through some of Pauls letters and scrunching up my nose because I didn't really like what he was saying. Things like "I do not allow a woman to speak in church" or "I do not allow a woman to teach a man". But it also was confusing because we had people like Priscilla who helped teach a man who was confused about the gospel of Christ.

So I started to think about it, does this not apply to everything? 

Back in those times, women were in fact treated like objects by men. They still are sometimes today. But in the bible, was this a report of what was happening then, or was God allowing it?

In the VERY FIRST CHAPTER OF THE BIBLE it states Males and females were created EQUAL in Gods eyes, they were both created in the image of God.

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

When Jesus was raised from death the first people he revealed himself to were women and they went to go tell the others. *Read John 20*

 You are probably thinking, "whats the big deal?" It really is a big deal, but in this time we are living in it would mean nothing. Back then, what women said was not really taken seriously and they only believed things when they had male witnesses. For Jesus to do this shows how much he values us compared to how the men did at the time. Jesus even saved a woman from being stoned for adultery.

Back in those days, only the woman was stoned for adultery while the man got off free. They blamed women for being seductive and that it was their fault. (NOT RAPE, RAPE WAS A CRIME)

Jesus challenges their beliefs by saying "Whoever looks at a woman with lust has committed adultery in his heart."

Some people say that God hates women. But he has used women for multiple great things. Look at Deborah the prophetess who helped the Israelites win the war. Esther, who saved her people from being persecuted. Mary who was chosen to have Jesus. 

I understand that men were chosen by God to be the leaders. (maybe because they're able to use logic more than emotion in their brains) If God says so that cannot be argued with. That does not mean women are incapable of being leaders, and that does not make them less important. While women were commanded to accept the authority of their husband (btw this does not mean listen and do every single thing they say, its respecting the decisions they make) men were commanded to treat their wife kindly and with respect.

The feminist movement is really messing with minds. I agree with some things, like equal pay, everyone being treated as equals and with respect, etc, but the abortion and women leading over their husband...no.

if you want to learn more I actually have a video you can watch because this isn't a topic I'm well educated on and I'm really worried about saying something wrong.

Video name: Is the Bible Sexist? w/ Dr. Jo Vitale

while looking for videos I found a ton that were bashing and assuming the worst like stating "The bible is saying all Mary was good for is being pregnant" which isn't true at all, I find that extremely ridiculous.

If you want to add something in the comments please do <3

Additional: Luke 7:36-50

SLAVERY

the bible does NOT support slavery as you probably know it.

actually, slavery at the time was typically either to pay debts; or was service for prisoners of war to do. They would serve for seven years and then be released with food, money and other things. There are rules in the bible that govern slavery and make it more humane than it was. Does this mean God likes slavery? NO.

These were people who were either bankrupt and sold themselves into slavery, or prisoners from war that were too dangerous to be let free.

I read a book here on wattpad that explained it SO WELL. I could probably never explain it that well and I don't want to confuse you so:

Book Name (On Wattpad): Atheism VS Christianity

Chapter: 7: Babies and Slaves.