Chapter 8

Music went by in a blur and I only had one more class to get through before school was done for the day. I went to my locker and saw this girl just standing there, like she was waiting for me. I already have a bad feeling, so I walk over cautiously. 

Before I even open my locker door, she speaks. "Stay away from the Morelli boys is you know what's good for you." 

I laugh and say, "That's going to be a little difficult. Besides, who are you to tell me who to hang out with?" 

"You whore." She tries to slap me and I pull the same move I did to my bully back in California. Only this time, she scratches arms when she gets up. I smirk and sweep my leg under her and she falls again. 

Bending down, I say, "Don't call me that. Pro tip, you probably shouldn't mess with me." I leave her there and walk to my class.

By the end of the day, everyone has heard what I did to the girl with the fake nails. I knew I was going to be in even more trouble now when I saw my brothers coming over from the soccer field to the stands where I am sitting. 

"What did you do?! You broke two rules already and it's only your first day!" shouted Matteo. 

"It's not my fault. She started it and it was self defense. She made the first hit." Technically she tried to, but I didn't tell them that I hit her first. 

"We have a lot to talk about when we get home." said Fabiano.

Liam walked over and sat down next to me. 

"Leave." said Luca. 

"I'm okay thank you." he said and I smirked at him. 

"We told you one of us has to be with you when you guys talk." mentioned Fabiano. 

"So one of you stay. It'll take like ten minutes." In the end, Matteo stayed to supervise. Of course it had to be him out of everyone. He was going to be mad when the conversation was going to be in Russian. 

"Как ты на самом деле был?(How have you really been)" he asked. Like I expected Matteo was confused. 

"Мне было лучше. Мои братья не полностью меня приняли, но я в порядке.(I have been better. My brothers haven't been entirely accepting of me but I'm fine)

"А как насчет насилия до того, как вы сюда попали? (What about the abuse before you got here)" I was very hesitant, but I eventually answered his question. 

Looking down, I say, "Стало намного хуже. Они начали присылать ко мне своих друзей. Сейчас у меня очень сильные ушибы ребер и шрамы по всему телу.(It had gotten a lot worse. They started sending their friends to me. Right now, I have really bad bruised ribs and scars all over my body.)" A tear slips out of my eye and he wipes it away for me. I look up to see he has a tear running down his face as well.

Matteo was looking at me with a furious expression, probably seeing how he has no clue what we were talking about. I turn back to Liam, seeing that his expression is one of comfort, and in his eyes is the promise of always protecting me. 

He pulls me into a hug and whispers, "Мне так жаль. Я хотел быть рядом с тобой. Я никогда не должен был уезжать. Надо было кому-нибудь рассказать.(I'm so sorry. I wished I was there for you. I should have never left. We should have told someone)"

 I let out a sad smile. "Вы знаете, что было бы только хуже. Они были связаны с плохими людьми, которые сделали бы мне хуже. Плохо ли, что я не доверяю своим братьям?(You know that would have made things worse. They were involved with bad people that would have done worse to me. Is it bad that I don't trust my brothers)

He thinks for a moment. "Я так не думаю. Доверие нужно заслужить. Кроме того, вы сказали, что вы им не очень нравитесь.(I don't think so. Trust has to be earned. Besides, you said that they don't like you that much)

"Да, но я чувствую, что они опасны. Не то чтобы бить меня, но их семейный бизнес начинает казаться странным. На днях я слышал, как они разговаривали на итальянском языке, которого они не знают, так как я бегло знаю, и сказал что-то, что напугало меня.(Yeah, but I have a feeling they are dangerous. Not like hitting me, but their family business is starting to seem weird. I heard them talking the other day in Italian, which they don't know that I fluently know it, and said something that scared me)" He nods and I say we will talk later.

We say our goodbyes and then he leaves. Now it is just me and Matteo, who looks like he wants to murder me. 

"You can go to practice now. I will just be doing my hom..." 

He cuts me off. "What the hell was that? You could have spoken in English, but you chose a different language. If you knew whatever that language was, how do you not know Italian?" 

"I umm chose to learn Russian and I didn't know I was Italian so..." I'm a pretty good liar so I'm not worried. 

Then he asked the question I was regretting. "Why were you crying?" 

"We were reminiscing about old memories and I guess I got a little emotional." He looked skeptical and I knew he was about to ask me more, so I decided to change the subject. 

"You need to go. You don't want your coach and team getting mad, do you?" I say. He glares at me, before getting up and leaving. I honestly didn't think that would work, but it did. Now I was dreading the talk I would get when I get back to the house. Let's hope the punishment won't be too bad.