Mother's Stories

Lilly watched her younger sister sleep. She had just finished retelling their mother's favorite story, about a woman who made a leap to the stars--and caught one to give to her youngest daughter. It was her younger sister's favorite story too.

The night was still. It's been days since their mother's funeral, and Lilly still missed her badly, but tomorrow is a new day. Lilly and her sister were being sent to their aunt's to live there. Lilly loved her Aunt Rebecca and her scientific theories. While Lilly's mother revolved around the world of magic and fantasy, Aunt Rebecca was the exact opposite.

Aunt Rebecca loved facts. And Lilly was looking forward to how Aunt Rebecca would explain what had happened to their mother. She was looking forward to how Aunt Rebecca would explain the probability, that out of all the houses in their neighborhood, the burglars would choose their house--and kill their mother.

Lilly also had a question for their aunt. About her mother's last words. Her mother's only words before she died. "Find your father," she had whispered weakly to Lilly. "Save your father." Lilly was sure that Aunt Rebecca would know something.

"Lilly?" a small voice called out, disturbing the silence.

"Yes, Brandy?" her younger sister was awake.

"Can you tell me another story?"

"Of course. Do you want me to tell you about Cinderella? How about the story of Charlie and the chocolate factory?"

"I want another one of mom's." Brandy's voice was sleepy but Lilly knew from experience that her younger sister would hold off sleeping until she gets her story. "Tell me the story of the girl who followed the trail of the tikbalang."

Lilly smiled, remembering the night their mother had first told them the story. It had been raining, same as in the story. And their mother had been weaving a necklace for her and Brandy.

"the story begins on a dark, rainy night...

"A young girl had just found out that her mother was pregnant; and both her mother and father were very busy with the pregnancy.

"Feeling left out, and thinking that her parents no longer cared for her, the young girl set out to find an adventure of her own. An adventure that would take her away, so her parents would realize just how important she was to them. And how she could never be replaced by the new child."

Lilly's right hand found its way to her necklace with a pendant that sported a strange design. It was the necklace their mother had weaved the night she first told the story.

"The young girl went outside their house, and proceeded to enter the forest. She had always been forbidden to enter it because it was dangerous for children; but that night, the young girl didn't care. She wanted her parents' attention, and she was going to get it anyway she can.

"But when she entered the forest, she felt someone watching her.

"She turned to look behind her, to where she had come from, but there was no one there.

"She did find, though, a set of hoof-prints leading to a clump of trees.

"Intrigued, the young girl followed the set of prints to a clearing. Where a young boy had been caught by a hunter's trap."

Lilly felt a chill. every time her mother would tell this story, Lilly felt as if she knew it firsthand. Then again, her mother had once told her that she based the young girl on Lilly herself. That was probably why.

"The young girl immediately went to help the young boy. The trap was one of their neighbor's. but it was only meant to capture magical creatures. Which the young girl realized too late.

"When she turned back to the young boy she had helped, what she found instead was a young tikbalang. She started to step back, wanting to run away, but the tikbalang was already in front of her. Holding her left arm. The young girl was afraid of what the creature would do.

"But the tikbalang had meant her no harm. He only wanted to thank her for helping him out of the trap.

"The young girl accepted the tikbalang's gratitude, and taught him how to shake hands. The tikbalang told the girl that she was different than most people--because she was not afraid of him.

"The tikbalang plucked three strands of hair from his mane and gave it to the young girl. He told her that when the time came that she would need help, she only needs to touch the hair and call his name; and he will come."

Brandy shivered, and Lilly covered her with some more blankets.

"Can a tikbalang grant wishes?" Brandy asked her sister.

"No, I don't think so." Lilly moved to beside her sister. "Do you want me to finish the story?"

Brandy nodded.

"That night, the young girl went back to their house to tell her parents about the tikbalang she had talked to. They listened, and hugged her, and told her how worried they were when she had gone out.

"It was all the things the young girl wanted to hear and more.

"The young girl showed her mother the three strands of hair the tikbalang gave her. Her mother told her that she should keep it safe, so the young girl placed the three strands of hair inside her mother's breast-pocket.

"And she told her mother that there is the only safe place she knows."

Brandy turned to lilly. "Do you remember when mother first told us that story?"

"Yes. She was weaving us these necklaces," Lilly touched the necklace around her neck, and the one on brandy's neck. Lilly's hand accidentally brushed against the pendant on her sister's necklace, and a soft glow emitted from the pendant.

"She also told us of a magic word," Brandy reminded her.

"A magic word," Lilly repeated with a frown. As if remembering something. Somewhere deep inside, Lilly knew it wasn't a magic word, but a name. Lilly placed both her hands on Brandy's. "Do you remember the word?"

"Liparo."

Lightning cracked outside their window. Lilly hugged Brandy tightly.

Outside, in the darkness, a shadow spoke softly, "I will protect you now."

#