The Art of Letting Go

Two years ago, Kelvin lost his best friend to drugs. Paul was found lying on his bed on the eve of halloween, dead from drug overdose.

Kelvin never accepted Paul's death.

He had survivor's guilt. He worked for an organization that dealt with wayward teens and drug addicts, and he knew all about survivor's guilt. He knew he shouldn't blame himself for the consequence of Paul's addiction. He knew he did everything he could have done for his friend. Knowing didn't stop the guilt.

On the eve of All Saints' Day, Kelvin received a call from Paul's mother. Her husband was still at work and couldn't take her to the cemetery. She told him that she needed to be with someone on her son's death anniversary, and Kelvin was the first person she thought of.

Like him, she hadn't moved on.

Paul's mom met Kelvin at the edge of the cemetery on Halloween night. The place didn't look, nor feel, like a cemetery. People were everywhere, party music was blasting out of numerous stereos.

Two years ago, Kelvin was one of them. Although he was not partying, he had a good time then. With his friends. With his family. And then he found out about Paul's death.

This is the first time kelvin is visiting Paul's grave. Since his friend's death, he's only seen Paul twice: at the hospital, while he comforted Paul's parents; and during the wake, on the last day. He couldn't even go near the coffin.

Kelvin didn't know what he was going to do. The only thing running in his mind as he walked with Paul's mom to his friend's grave was this: he had to face Paul's death.

In a way, Kelvin needed to face the fact that Paul was gone. And that there really was nothing more he could do. That he had to let the guilt go. That there was nothing more he could do for Paul.

"Kelvin?" Kelvin didn't notice paul's mom was talking to him. He faced her, only to see tears streaming down the woman's face.

"I've been a bad mother." Kelvin hugged the elderly woman. "Can you believe that this is the first time I've gone to visit my son?"

He didn't know how to reply. He just continued to hug his friend's mother. From the directions he received from Paul's dad, they were still a few streets away from Paul's grave.

Kelvin let Paul's mom cry for a bit more. When the woman finally composed herself, she squeezed his arm. They started walking again.

"I'm sorry for pulling you away from your family," she finally said, voice hoarse. "This day should be spent with family."

"No worries, Mrs. solis," Kelvin replied. "I want to be here."

He didn't tell Paul's mom the reason he was there. That he wanted closure too.

Finally, they reached Paul's grave. Someone was already there, waiting for them. Kelvin's first thought was that it was Paul's dad. Mr. Solis could've easily overtaken them, his office was nearer the cemetery than the Solis' House was. Plus, Kelvin got lost a couple of times going to the cemetery.

But it couldn't be Paul's dad. Too tall, for one thing.

Kelvin approached the stranger. "Excuse me?" he called out, curious. Paul's dad didn't mention any other family members visiting.

"Kelvin?"

Kelvin paused. The voice shaking something inside him. It couldn't be. Kelvin heard a gasp from beside him as the stranger turned around. As the stranger's face registered to him and Paul's mother.

"I've been waiting for you and mom. Thank you for finally letting me go."

#