"Hey, you're the one that challenged me. Though..." He gestured to the wooden sword in his hand, willing his expression to turn sheepish. Boomer huffed, though nobody acknowledged it. "Mind if we keep to the wooden swords? My body is recovering."

Yes. His body. The one that last time they practiced with wooden swords didn't feel the strikes as anything more than pressure. His smile almost faltered, but he caught it. He needed to know.

Do you? Boomer asked, sending the question through the bond. A slight plea that almost made Josh change his mind.

"Sure," Cale said hesitantly, stopping Josh from thinking more. Cale turned to Eli and Zaina. "Can I borrow your swords?"

"Sure," Zaina said.

"Don't kick his butt too much," Eli added, grinning as he handed over his wooden sword.

"Hey, Eli, come sit with me." Mara took a seat in the sand and patted the spot beside her. Once he -- and Zaina -- did, she continued. "I found something about the reaper when I was researching."

Josh raised an eyebrow. "Oh? I didn't know you were looking into those things. But that may be because I hope we never see them again."

"I hope we don't either." Mara pressed her lips together. She shivered. "Especially after what I found out. The second one couldn't be banished. Once their energy mixes with the energy of another creature, they become more... I guess you could say a solid form. It probably didn't happen often, so I don't know if Aharon and Moshe knew, but only a dragon could have defeated that one, not banishing it."

Josh flinched. Aharon. A flaming spear. Nothing he could do--

He didn't realize Boomer stood until his head bumped against Josh's shoulder. It jarred him out of the memory. Shooting his dragon a grateful half-smile, Josh reached over and patted his snout.

"Really?" Eli asked, sitting up straighter. The news added a color to his cheeks Josh hadn't realized had been missing until then. "So I didn't mess up?"

"You never had," Mara assured, ruffling Eli's hair. "You were brave, doing the only thing we thought would help. I would never have called that messing up."

Josh stared at Mara. His girlfriend, he guessed. They had never really used the term before, but there was no other way to define their relationship. And man, did he enjoy their relationship. He really liked her, and moments like this reminded him it wasn't just because she was beautiful.

"Anyway." Josh tore his gaze from her and faced Cale. "Interesting discovery aside, you ready?"

Taking that as his signal, Boomer backed away and found another spot to lounge on the ground, giving the two enough room to spar.

Cale spun the two wooden swords he wielded, eyes scanning Josh. Trying to make sense of this decision, no doubt. "I am if you are," he said.

"Go easy on him," Zaina called from the side. "Josh has been extra lame today."

Josh stuck his tongue at her. All three of those seated chuckled.

"I'm ready," he said, falling into a fighting stance. His right arm rose out of habit despite lacking a shield. He hadn't thought to grab one earlier. Not that it mattered. For his purpose, he shouldn't have the extra defense.

Cale's eyes flickered to the movement. "If you want, you can--"

Josh charged forward and swung. Cale intercepted the attack with one sword and attacked with the other. Josh stepped back to avoid it, dragging his sword downward so it slid off Cale's raised sword and smacked against the hand holding the attacking one.