Twenty One- Toby

She looks stunning, I'm not even joking. I can't help but just glance at her from the corner of my eye as we make it downstairs to my parents 'dinner'. I don't expect much to come of it, other than my parents joint disapproving stares. We make it down into the formal dinning room and I pull out the proper chair for Percy, pushing her in a bit and taking my seat across from her. She sends me a small nervous smile and I grin back a boyish grin, not able to stop thinking of earlier.

My parents walk in from separate hallways, taking their seats at the end of the long table. I know this dinner will be a disaster, complete failure, and afterwords, Percy will have no reason to 'date' me anymore. I seem to forget it all a show.

"Good evening." My father says, his quiet voice in stark contrast to my mother's booming one.

"Hello, You must be Percy." My mother sneers, her voice trailing out Percy's name with a 'ss'-ing sound of a snake.

"Evening Father, Mother." I acknowledge my parents with a nod each.

They each smile, my mother's cold and fake and my fathers warm and kind.

"It's nice to meet you both." Percy says quietly, nodding slightly to the older couple.

Perfect, quiet and smart and beautiful, just what I told my parents Percy was like.

One of my mother's many maids bring out the first course of salad. Percy looks down at her variety of forks in confusion, having no idea which to use. While my parents are staring at their food and having their usual starting buisness part of the conversation, my nodding and mumbling 'mmm hmm' every now and then. I snap my fingers, quietly enough so my parents won't hear it, but loud enough that Percy can. Her head jerks up, looking at me for help.

Way ahead of you.

I delibrerately grab my salad fork, holding it up like I'm checking to make sure it's clean. She grabs the correct one on her setting plate, mouthing a 'thank you' to me. I can't acknowledge her futher cause my parents attention is now directed towards me.

"So, how long have you two been dating?"

Crap, I didn't go over this with Percy.

"2 months." I say

"2 weeks." Percy replies at the same time.

"2 weeks that has turned into 2 months." I cover quickly.

"Wow, time flies." Percy states, eyes wide at the 'sudden' realization of it.

I give a shaky smile, nodding like I couldn't realize just how 'long' it's been.

Not long enough.

"So Percy..." my mother starts. I hand her a warning glare that she chooses to ignore "What are your grades like? Attendance? Participation?"

I glance at Percy as she bites her lip.

"My attendance is good, I participate when needed and my grades are just as good as Toby's." She replies smoothly.

Nice.

My mother nods, my father starring down at his untouched plate in silence.

"So may I ask... WHAT CREATURE HAS POSSESSED YOU INTO DATING MY BEAUTIFUL CHARMING SON!" She suddenly shouts at Percy.

Percy flinches and I instantly feel bad for her, she came here to get away from her dad and the screaming, now she's getting just as much.

"I'M SERIOUS! YOUR POLLUTING HIS BRAIN WITH YOUR VIAL THOUGHTS!" She screams.

"Well-" Percy starts to explain herself but she's cut off.

"Please sit down..." My father mutters to my mothers, glaring at her from across the table.

"No. I will not stand for this repulsive act!" She slams her fist on the table, her chair squealing behind her, "This is an act of disrespect!" She turns to me "how do you think this makes us feel?"

"Perfectly fine, I like her." My father mumbles again.

"Excuse me? She is not of proper upbringing, she does not understand what it means to date a Verse! The courtship should be of honor, of benefit to both parties families-"

"What about a benefit for me? Huh? Why can't you just want me to be happy?" I question "why does it always have to be about status."

"Cause that's the world you were born in, and obviously not the one Percy stands in today." My mother remarks.

"I'm serious, what does my son get out of this relationship? You get the big fancy house and his charming looks from years of profession grooming,"

You make me sound like a show dog.

"You can manipulate him into spending all his money on you and then-" she suddenly gasps, her hand flying over her chest "ARE YOU PREGNANT?!"

"Look, I'm sorry." Percy suddenly states, "I have enough of my own self esteem issues to deal with, I don't need you adding to them!"

Percy abruptly jumps up from the table, striding out of the room before I hear her feet pick up and take her running out the front door.

"What the heck mother? I get her natural beauty, her adorable shyness, her compassion and understanding-"

"But she didn't even finish dinner." My mother cuts me off.

"I know you don't get this but mom, but-"

"Not even the salad course!" She starts again.

"MOM! I LOVE HER!"

The room is suddenly silent and I groan, knowing this argument is futile and I've already given Percy a head start. I take off running out of the house, into the driveway, keys in hand. I pull out in a car, doesn't matter which, taking off in the direction I'm guessing Percy went.

I just hope I'm not too late.

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hey guys.

I wanted to apologize for being away from kinda everything lately. I'm still going through crap in my personal life right now and it kinda sucks. Hopefully once the school year is over I'll be able to update more but really don't know yet. So earlier I said this book might be a trilogy series but right now I'm not so sure so please comment,

Yay or nay?

I won't be able to post the next chapter until I have some feedback about that so thanks a lot guys.

I'm also thinking of starting another Book, I have most of the characters and plot worked out but I don't have a title or a cover yet. So if anyone would like me to have some sort of contest of something for that, please also comment on this chapter somewhere about it.

Love you candies <3

FanNerd