Chapter 29

*Ashton's P.O.V*

I didn't think I could do it, but I quite obviously thought wrong.

It seemed unnatural, that someone with absolutely no experience in fighting real life people would be able to walk around and cause so much damage to anyone who seemed threatening or attacked. Well I guess I'd have to get over that, since it came so easily to me now I was vampire.

I was a vampire. I was still finding that difficult to get my head around. But at the same time, I kinda liked it.

"Ashton look out!" Alex yelled, and I noticed an older looking man running angrily towards me. Thanks to the warning, I took out the guy and he was dead in a flash.

It made me a murderer, something that I had sworn years ago I would never become. But these circumstances were different, as I had also sworn I would always protect the innocent. The people falling weren't people I knew, but I still felt a pang of guilt of as their lifeless bodies crumbled to the death-stained ground.

Guilt. Such a human emotion. I wished that would disappear quicker.

Things were strange. All the yells and screams were making my head hurt, I just wanted this to end. I wanted this to end so bad.

"L-Luke," I stuttered as the boy staggered exhaustedly towards me, "I don't think I can do this."

He quickly grabbed my arms and yanked me to the side as someone was thrown violently forward directly behind me. "Yes you can. We're winning Ashton, we're winning. It'll be over soon, I promise."

I nodded as he ran back away from me until he was once again lost in the crowd. My eyes skimmed the huge group of battling people until I spotted Michael, struggling to fight. I had thought Calum might have come to his rescue, but when I saw him he was trying to get to Marcellus.

Oh yeah, someone had to kill the most powerful vampire in existence, it had completely slipped my mind.

So I ran over to help my friend, who had just tripped himself up and was now lying vulnerably on the ground. "Hang on Mike!" I yelled, moving so quickly that when I reached them I took out the man who was about to attack Michael entirely.

Michael gasped with relief as the man fell away from him, before groaning in pain and rolling over so I could help him up.

"You okay?" I asked him as he brushed himself off and I dragged him slightly away from the main area of fighting.

"Yeah, I just, I don't know. I'm scared Ash, Calum keeps going for all the really powerful ones and I don't think he's strong enough. I don't think I'm strong enough."

"Yes you are," I stated firmly yet reassuringly, "I know you are. And I know he is too. I trust him, Luke trusts him, even he trusts him. So trust me when I say that everything is gonna be okay."

My eyes widened and I shrieked with shock as Michael was suddenly swept away by someone, but I managed to make out a laugh as I watched him smash the guy hard in the face.

The problem with what I had just told Michael was that I didn't believe any of it myself. I wasn't sure I could trust anyone right now, and I certainly didn't think that it was all going to be okay. I mean how could it?

Michael was my best friend, Luke was my boyfriend, and although I hadn't known Calum for very long he still already felt like a brother to me. One minute they could be alive, and then the next dead, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop it. I just felt so powerless.

Nothing would ever be the same again.

But all I could do was try to convince myself that everything would turn out okay.

"Stop!" A harsh voice suddenly cut through the air, causing everyone to pause and move to face the man who had spoken; Marcellus. "However much I love killing you all, I am willing to make an agreement. I enjoy a good challenge, so four against one. But I get to pick the four."

Everyone stayed silent, they knew that if they didn't follow his demand they were likely to die anyway. Some hid behind others with the hope that he might not see them, but most had accepted that they just had to wait to see who the head vampire chose as his unlucky four.

Nobody seemed surprised when Marcellus pointed at Calum.

"That's cool," Calum chuckled, "I will happily help destroy you."

He did not get a reply, as Marcellus was already looking for the next person to join Calum.

All I could hear was heavy breathing, everyone so full of fear that it would be them. It seemed selfish to not want to be chosen, but other than Calum, who did?

A few sighs of relief washed over the crowd as Marcellus ordered the second person to go and stand next to Calum. I couldn't see who it was at first, but as soon as they were in sight I froze with shock.

It was Michael.

"No!" Yelled Calum, grabbing Michael by the arms and throwing him behind him, and holding him there protectively. "I'll fight you by myself, just leave my boyfriend alone!"

Boyfriend? And so the truth is finally out.

Marcellus just laughed. "I said that I get to choose, no arguments."

Calum seemed angry, but gradually calmed down after Michael said something to him. I wasn't sure what, but it didn't really matter as whatever it was definitely worked.

Michael and Calum had to fight the most powerful vampire in existence. We didn't know which two poor souls would be joining them, but I sure as hell hoped that they would win.

I nearly shrieked when I felt him tap me on the shoulder.

I didn't quite register what was going on at first, but before I even had the chance to move, someone spoke up.

It was Luke.

"Marcellus, fight me instead of him. I volunteer in his place." He didn't seem upset or angry, just - emotionless and blank.

"Okay," the council member responded, "since you so kindly offered, you can be the fourth person. Go stand with the others."

"That's not what I mea-"

"I know," Marcellus cut off Luke, "but I don't like being cheated out of what I want. Now go stand with them."

He looked at me and Luke, before pointing instructingly towards Michael and Calum, and we did what he told us to immediately. So we were the four. And there was no chance that this would end well.

Marcellus ordered both his side and ours out of the way, so we stood facing him in a big open space. He smiled evily, followed by the words that I feared would be the last ones I ever heard.

"Let the games begin."

~~~~~~~

A/n: I wrote this in literally half an hour wow I'm a little concerned it normally takes me a day to write an update

One chapter and a epilogue left! What do you think is gonna happen in the final fight?

And thanks for 10k that's insane! I honestly never thought so many people would actually enjoy this story and although it's terrible I'm very glad

See you soon xx