Chapter 53

November 11 2018
Thursday

Alex POV
Today's the day we finally graduate... It's pretty scary actually. And also funny because the only people who are actually sticking with what they studied are John and Herc.

I can't get an actual job until I'm 19 and and nor can Peggy but Peggy says she has this secret job she's been working at for a while now. Hasn't told us what it is and we don't really believe her.

I'm valedictorian, no one was surprised, which means I have to give a speech. Yay. Honestly I'm super nervous but I feel mildly prepared so hopefully this goes well.

"Hey~" John says hugging me from behind. "Hey baby." I reply kissing him on the cheek. "Can you believe we're actually graduating today?" he asks and I shake my head, "Nope."

"I have an interview for a part time job at the aquarium on Monday." he says and I laugh, "Of course, I almost forgot about that." he kisses me again.

"What's the time?" I ask, "9:27." Peggy replies, we're sitting in her and Mairas new apartment they got three days ago. Laf and Herc also got an apartment, Eliza is moving into Stephans luxury apartment and Angie is moving in with John Church.

"We have three hours..." I sigh, John sits down and pulls me onto his lap. "You nervous?" Maria asks not looking up from putting makeup on. "Yeah, I actually am." I reply.

I drop my face into John's shoulder and he stroaks my hair. "You're gonna do great. You've been planning this for like a month." he says. I sigh, "You're right."

~time skip~

We stand up on the stage of the auditorium, I can't believe this is finally happening.

The dean comes up onto the podium.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen, today we are celebrating the graduation of our class of 2018. I would just like to say that is this a momentous occasion. Each of these students have shown us that even in the darkest of times, working hard for what you want will always pay off."

"I would like to open with our valedictorian, Mr Alexander Hamilton." she says. The crowd cheers as I walk up onto the podium. I reach into my pocket and grab my notes.

I take a deep breath.

"Hello everyone, I would just like to start by thanking everybody. These past two years were some of the toughest years of my life and if you know me personally then you'll know that says something. But through all of it I had so much support. From my friends, from my teachers and from my family. A special thanks to our beloved history teacher Mr Washington who never ceases to get me out of trouble. I hope your next job is fulfilling and I hope you know that the students who won't have you as a teacher are really going to miss out. To our amazing head, Mrs Adams, you really do know how to run a school."

I pause for a moment but then continue.

"My friends who I hope to stay in touch with after graduation, Lafayette and Hercules, you two really pulled me out of a dark place last year. To my sister's, Pegs, Eliza and Angie, who literally saved my life. Peggy, I hope you never have to be the 'and' again."

I got a few laughs out of that.

"To John, my amazing partner. I never knew I could be as loved as I am now until I met you. And to Jefferson, as much as I hate to admit it, you tought me a lot. I've known you for years and I have never hated you as much as I do now. Thank you for teaching me the difference between good and bad."

I got more laughs and I could see Jefferson fuming with rage on the stand.

"I also just want to say thanks to my biological mother. Although she isn't with us anymore I can tell she's looking down on me from heaven. Everyday I look to her for guidance, she gave up everything for my brother and I and I don't want to waste all her hard work. I hope that if she were still here she would be proud of me and how far I've come."

I can feel the tears but I keep a steady voice and continue.

"I can already tell this class is going to do some truly amazing things in life. And I hope to see the improvement on society because of that. Thank you all for having faith in me and in each other. Make the best of your lives and continue striving for the top. Don't throw away your shot."

I finish and the crowd goes wild with applause. I take my notes back to the stand and the dean finishes with the actual part of the graduation. I didn't really pay attention until it was the end.

"Alright students, throw your caps in the air on three. One, two, three!" she yells and everyone throws their caps up into the air.

There's more cheering and everyone on the stands is either hugging or talking to each other. John jumps down from where he's standing and pulls me into a kiss.

"And now we have the rest of our lives all to ourselves." I say, "Oh whatever shall we do now that we don't have school everyday!" John says in a fake scared voice. I laugh and then kiss him again.

"Whatever we want."

To be continued