"Your keys?"

"I'm not letting you go there alone," he said without turning to her.

"I'm telling you, it's safe, and there's no need—" Imogen started mumbling.

"Last time you went to comfort Petra over her... break-up," the Mayor choked on the word. "You ended up in—" He threw the little'uns a quick look. "In Miss Rosa's tearooms. I'd rather keep an eye on you."

"But we can't take the children with us," Imogen offered another argument, and he shrugged again.

"Why not? I'd love to introduce them to Fellowes. She was the only person who showed me any warmth when I was small. I'm sure she'd be happy to meet my new family."

Imogen's eyes boggled. 'Warmth?' 'New family?'

"Fellowes? Are we talking about your Father's scary housekeeper?" she asked in disbelief.

"She loves our family. Has been with us since before my sister was born." The Mayor dried his hands, smiling at his memories. "She used to make me these amazing bacon sandwiches and sneaking them into my room when I wasn't allowed to come down for supper. I wonder if she can make some now. Alright, how about you go grab your jackets?" he said to Kathy and Brian. "Let's go for a ride."

The children yee-pee'd and rushed out of the kitchen.

"Wash your hands first, please," he called after them.

Imogen heard the door to the bathroom bang. Apparently the mayoral authority had spread onto her little family. They'd probably ignore her orders, but he just needed to say once.

Imogen sighed and went to pick up her handbag.

***

Fellowes opened the door to them and looked over their small group.

"Afternoon, Fellowes," the Mayor said warmly. "These are my friends, Brian and Kathy. They came to meet you." He chuckled. "And we wouldn't say no to your famous bacon sandwiches."

The housekeeper's blank stare shifted on Imogen.

"Afternoon, Ms. Fellowes," Imogen said meekly. The woman scared her out of her wits.

"Miss Fox." 

Fellowes gave her a small nod and looked at the children. Kathy shrunk under the scrutiny, but Brian seemed unfazed.

"Are you John's friend?" he asked and grinned widely. "We love John. And he said you make sarnies with bacon, and there's a secret recipe. I don't need the recipe, I'm just hungry."

Imogen felt her spine turn into a foot and a half long icicle. And then suddenly, a miracle happened - and it seemed to Imogen that the sun came out from behind the clouds and birds started to sing - because Fellowes smiled.

"Please, come in, young sir," she said and stepped aside.

Brian confidently marched in.

"And you're Kathy?" Fellowes asked the girl. "What a beautiful name. Please, follow me to the kitchen."

Fellowes turned around and walked away, followed by a stunned Kathy. Brian was already yelling from some hallway somewhere to the left that he was 'lost, but look there's a knight, and he's empty!'

Imogen stood on the threshold of the Mayor's childhood home, breathing in short shallow gasps.

"What— But—" she muttered.

"Come," the Mayor said with another of his velvet chuckles and softly pushed her inside. "Let's help Petra, find that treasure of hers, and go home."