Chapter 14

Ava's POV

I face towards Jake, and say "This is getting depressing. Let's go do something less... morbid."

"Let's, and I know the perfect thing to do." Jake says before walking back down stairs. Leaving me at the roof.

I am I supppsed to follow him or...

"You coming?" Jake calls popping his head out so I can see his face

I guess I am

"Sure." I say before following him down the stairs.

I walk downstairs to see Jake raiding the fridge, and then his pantry. "I could have sworn we just ate." I state.

"I know we did, smart ass, this is a little snack." Jake says before turning around and holding up kit kats and a pre made bag of popcorn.

"Señor Russo, would you like me to make you something?" A new petite voice says. I turn towards the voice to see a old woman, she looks like a classic grandma, short, and looks warm and friendly.

"For the last time it is just Jake," He explains while waving her off, "And no thank you, you have done enough already. The house looks fantastic."

"Just doing my job." She smiles a kind of grandmother smile.

"Oh how rude of me, Ava this is my personal maid, Dai (said like Day) this is my friend Ava." Jake introduces us. I smile and put my hand out to shake, but am surprised when she chuckles, smacks my hand away, and squeezes me in what can only be known as a bear hug.

"Oh, a hugger." I smile while returning the hug.

"Why of course dear. Jake won't stop talking about you 'Oh she is just so wonderful, she is like a doll, her eyes-'" Ms. Rodriguez rambles on, and I can't help but laugh.

"I think she gets it Dai." Jake shushes her while grapping my hand and leading me to what I think is his room.

"Well I don't want to leave just yet," I grab my hand back and turn back to Ms. Rodriguez, "So a doll huh?"

"Alright that's enough, let's go." He grabs a hold of my wrist again

"No, come on, I was kidding," I get my wrist back again, I sit down as I ask her another question, "What was Jake like growing up?"

"Oh mi chico was muy perfecto, uh you should have seen him as a child he was the fatest little kid, but his brother would get him into sports. He is a great soccer player. If his parents won't teach him his Mexican background then I will. I taught him how to make papusas, tamales, quisadilla, tortillas, and a whole bunch of stuff." I smile at the thought of Jake helping out Ms. Rodriguez for a home-made meal.

"What about you dear, what where you like as a child?" She asks.

"Well before my family, uh broke apart, my mom would teach me how to dance very young. We would dance in the kitchen, the living room, and in my room. She taught me basic desserts, and actually taught me spanish 1st, and then English." I explain

"Oh, you speak Spanish?" Ms. Rodriguez asks in Spanish.

"Yes, but I am having difficulty with the writing so I am taking rosetta stone, yeah it helps a lot." I reply in Spanish as well.

"No, no, no one is speaking spanish." Jake intervenes at last.

"So I take it you don't know Spanish?" I question him.

"No I don't." Jake huffs out a reply.

"Aww it's okay, you'll get there." I say as a pat his head.