11. Redneck Yacht Club - Chase Elliott

I'm Ashton and I'm currently sitting outside the infield care center waiting on my boyfriend of six months, Chase Elliott. I replayed the events of today again. Today was the last race of the 2020 Nascar Cup Series in Phoenix, Arizona. Chase was second in points and running second with 10 laps to go. He was fighting for first with Denny Hamlin, the points leader. Caution came out and Chase came down pit road, 4 tire stop and he was still 2nd. They went back racing with 6 to go. Denny took off Chase right behind him, Martin Truex Jr pulling in close for 3rd. Truex pulled up beside Chase, bumping into him fighting for the bottom lane. Chase's left front tire blew and sent him straight into the right side wall, spinning across on coming traffic, Bubba Wallace had no where to go and hit Chase, the driver's side door sending him through the air. It was the most horrific wreck I have ever seen Chase in. The window net didn't come down. Alan, his crew chief radioed him. "Hey Chase, you okay?" No answer. I heard his spotter, "Chase bud if you can hear me, just say yes." No answer. I threw the radio down and ran from the pit box. I ran across the grass and onto the track, finally reaching the crash, I yelled for Chase. One of the EMT's stopped me, and told me I couldn't go any further. I didn't argue. "Is he okay?" I asked frantically. "We don't know Ma'am we are working on getting him out of the car. I watched helplessly as they pulled Chase's lifeless body from the car and onto the grass. I ran past the guy and straight to Chase. "Chase it's Ashton, if you can hear me, just know that I am here and I love you." I laid my hand on his chest, feeling his heartbeat. Thank god, he is alive. I was pulled away by Alex Bowman who had gotten out of his car under the red flag. Come on Ash let them help him. I looked around to see William, Denny, Kyle, Kurt, Austin, Ryan and Bubba, all watching them get Chase onto the stretcher. William came up hugging me. "He will be okay, Ash, just have some faith." I knew he was trying to be supportive. Bubba walked up and started opened his mouth, but didn't speak. I looked up at him, his face said it all. "Bubba, it's okay, I know you didn't mean to hit him. You had no where to go." He dropped his head. "No I didn't, but I still feel really horrible." I took another look around. "Where's Martin Truex Jr? He's the reason Chase crashed in the first place. All my emotions turned into anger. "Ash, don't worry about him." Alex said. "They've got him in the ambulance, come on I'll take you to the infield care center." I shook my head and walked up to Denny. "Congrats on the win and the Championship." I gave him a small smile and he hugged me. "I never wanted it to happen like this. I am not celebrating anything until we know if he is going to be okay. I'll be praying for the both of you.". "Thank you Denny." I said and turned to Alex. "Let's go."

"Any word yet?" I jumped as I was pulled away from my thoughts. It was Alex, handing me a Coca-Cola. "No not yet." I sighed and looked at the ground. "They won't let me in there. What if he is really hurt, Alex?" He sat next to me, putting his arm around me. "Ashton, I'm sure he is going to be fine, if he was really bad, they would have already air lifted him to a hospital." I laid my head on his shoulder. "Yeah I guess your right." "Think positive, Ash. I'll go in and see if they will tell me something." As Alex got up William came up and sat down, "I bought you something." He said smiling. Holding one hand behind his back. "What's that?" I looked at him, mustering up the best fake smile I could. "Your favorite." He handed me a bag with the big yellow M on the side. "You can never go wrong with Nuggets and Fries." He was smiling like a fool. "Thank you William, I really appreciate it." My face dropped and I just looked at the ground. "Hey, I know this is tough Ashton, but just know we are all here for you, and for Chase." I turned my head to look at him. "Most of you are, yes. But do you know who hasn't been here to check on him? To apologize? To say anything at all? Martin fucking Truex Jr. That's who!" I went from 0 to Pissed in 2.5 seconds just by saying his name. Alex walked back out smiling. "He is fine, he's in there joking around being his usual self." I stood from where I was sitting. "How? I mean I am glad his is okay, it's just, he looked so lifeless laying there." I trailed off as Chase walked out. I dropped everything and ran up to him wrapping him in my arms. I didn't say anything, I just held him. Eventually he was struggling to get-out of my grip. "Ashton, you have to let me go at some point." I looked up at him. "Oh no I don't" He laughed. "Baby I am fine. I was knocked unconscious, but I am cleared, which means we are still going out to the lake like I promised you." He smiled kissing my forehead. I let him go. "Okay well give me 10 minutes and I'll be at the RV. I have something I have to do." Alex and William both stood from the wall. "Ashton, please don't." Alex begged. "I'm going to talk, that's it." I threw my hands up and turned walking away. Alex turned to Chase. "I'm glad your okay, but knowing her, Martin won't be." Chase laughed and nodded his head in agreement. "I reckon we should follow her." He walked with the guys fair enough behind her that she didn't notice.

Chase's POV

We followed her through the RV campgrounds, and into the garages. We saw Martin standing right outside his garage talking with a NASCAR official, Joe Gibbs and Bill France. Ashton saw Martin and made a beeline for him. "Y'all think I should stop her?" I looked at William who was smiling from ear to ear, eager to see what she was going to do, to Alex who had a look of concern. "I think you should, we both know she doesn't want to talk." Alex said and William chimed in. " I think she may talk to him, let's see what happens." I rolled my eyes. "You guys are helpful." I watched as Ashton walked up to Martin. He turned to look at her and she clocked him, dead in the face. She hit him so hard he went straight down. She looked up at Mr. France, "Don't fine Chase or the crew. That was all on me. I'll pay it. " She looked down at Martin, "Maybe next time, don't be a cunt about it." She walked away. Leaving Joe, Bill and the official all looking at each other. "What just happened?" Bill said. "Well, sir. Martin got a taste of his own medicine." Joe answered. Handing him a check. "I think that'll cover her fine. I've told him before about dirty racing. Maybe now he learnt a little something." I looked at William and Alex and the three of us started laughing. "I guess we should all go get ready to leave. And for the love of god, don't let Ash know we followed her, please." "Aw come on Chase, we didn't follow her, we came back to our garages too, and just so happened to see the whole thing go down." William laughed and I shook my head. "Whatever, kid let's go." We walked to my RV first, and William just had to open his mouth as soon as he walked in. "Hey Rocky Balboa, you ready to go?" He asked, and then began to laugh uncontrollably. Ashton came from the bedroom and dead serious look on her face. She eyed William who instantly stopped laughing. He coughed, even looking away from her gaze. "Excuse me?" She crossed her arms, not taking her eyes off of him. William on the other hand shot me a look that said 'save me'. "Baby, clam down. It's just, we saw what happened from the garage. We went back to make sure the crew had everything and we passed final inspection. But, I thought you said you wanted to just talk to him." I crossed my arms, looking at her. "I did talk to him." She said defending herself. "Punching someone in the face isn't talking." Alex chimed in. "Yes, it is!" She shot her glare to Alex. "My fist said hello to his face." This time I laughed. "Babe that isn't talking. "I told him not to be a cunt. That's talking to him." I walked over to her. There was no way I could even be mad, she was so adorable, and I knew she was only standing up for me. I took her into a hug. "You ready to go out to the party cove for the week?" She looked up at me. "Redneck Yacht Club." I said and she was still confused. "That's what you get for having a city girl." William said and she threw a bottle of water at him, hitting him the the chest. "That's what you get for not paying attention asshole. I'm not a city girl, I'm just not from Georgia and I've never heard of it." I smiled and explained. "Bass trackers, Bayliners, and a party barge, strung together like a floatin' trailer park, anchored out and gettin' loud all summer long, Side by side there's five houseboat front porches, Astroturf lawn chairs and tiki torches, regular Joe's just rockin' the boat, that's us, the redneck yacht club." She was smiling at me. "Sounds great! I'm ready to go." I kissed her forehead. "I'll meet you in the truck in five."