3. What Ifs - Denny Hamlin

Denny was at Joe Gibbs Racing headquarters, doing a Live Q&A on Instagram with the fans when he spotted Mackenzie walking through the door. He smiled at her, watching as she walked through, she never even looked up at him, or took off her sunglasses. He could see her face was red like she had been crying. He didn't know what was going on but he intended to find out. She had other business to attend to, and he knew that. He when on about his business until lunchtime came around. He went upstairs to the main office and found her sitting in a chair with her head down, her face covered by her long brown hair. He took the chair next to her and put a hand on her back. "Hey Kenzie, Is everything okay?" He asked trying to comfort her. She didn't respond, didn't even make a move. It was like he wasn't there. He kneeled on the floor in front of her, trying to see her face. "Kenzie you know I am here for you, just tell me what is wrong." He tucked her hair behind her ear, she still had those glasses on. "Please talk to me." He begged as he took her hand. "Would you be more comfortable in my office?" She shook her head, yes, and he stood up bringing her to her feet. He called in a pizza from her favorite little joint down the road. When he hung up the phone his attention went back to her. "I know it's your favorite." His smile was so bright. He walked over to her and took her into a hug, holding her there. "You know you can tell me anything Mackenzie, I'm not going to be upset baby, just tell me what it is." He backed away looking at her. She looked at him and took off her glasses, a nice big shiner on her right eye. "It was Jay again, wasn't it? He did this to you yesterday didn't he?" She could tell Denny was pissed. He knew it was her on-again-off-again boyfriend up until six months ago when he started dating her. She simply nodded her head in response as a whole new set of tears fell down her face. "Denny I can't do this anymore, I don't want to be hurt. I don't want to be left alone, I'm sure you can find someone else, someone who you deserve, I'm just a wreck, I don't want this to fall apart, and I don't want to mess you up, you have a championship to win. You don't need me. I'm leaving the company after today." She barely let out the last line, He had her in his arms once again. "Well I hear you, and before you make your mind up I gotta ask, What if I was made for you and you were made for me, what if this is it, what if it's meant to be, What if I ain't one of them fools just playing some game. What if I just pulled you close, what if I leaned in and the stars lined up and it's our last first kiss? What if one of these days, baby, I go and change your name? What if I loved all these what if's away?" He looked down at her, watching her face turn into a smile. "You mean all of that?" She asked him. "Of course I do, I love you Mackenzie, and one day, you will be Mrs. Hamlin."