Chapter Twelve

~Enya's POV~

There was a faint tapping sound coming from my balcony. I woke from my fretful, drug induced, slumber and glanced in the direction of my balcony. I could see the faint outline of someone standing on my balcony trying to get in. Stiffly, I rolled from bed. My ribs protested the action so violently I nearly let out a cry of pain. Father was kind enough to fracture two of them and break another. The moment we got home he whipped me with one of the ornamental fire pokers. It had been bad enough, my mother actually sounded concerned for me and begged him to stop.

It had been a few days since then and I was still in a world of pain. I inched to my balcony doors and tossed them open as I spotted Mei dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a bulky hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up over her long dark hair. Her bright hazel eyes widened as she stepped into my room.

"Dear god, it's worse than I thought." Mei gasped, "Enya, we have to go to the police! Now!"

"And tell them what?" I laughed dryly, it hurt so much to laugh, a soft whimper escaped me.

"Just look at you! We don't have to tell them anything!" Mei snapped.

"This isn't new...my father has a doctor on payroll, there are hundreds of medical records, detailed documentation, of my 'clumsiness', he knows how to cover his tracks." I inched back to my bed needing to get off my feet, they still hurt from my hour-long shoeless run.

"And what the hell else could possibly have caused this?" Mei growled.

"Wouldn't ya know, I ironically fell down several flights of stairs." I rolled my eyes at the cliché cover up.

"What about your brother?" Mei asked desperately.

Thinking of Enji left a bitter taste in my mouth, "I went to him first...he gave me back..."

Mei clenched her fists, "that bastard, I'll knock his head off."

I offered her a strained smile, "thanks, but you really shouldn't be here."

"They cleared out your desk and locker, you haven't responded to any of my texts or calls, what the hell else was I supposed to do? You're my cute little Kohai, I wasn't just going to abandon you."

"My parents withdrew me from school and have confiscated my phone." I explained feeling guilty for worrying her and my other classmates.

"What?! They can't do that!" Mei was enraged.

"They're my parents, as far as the world is concerned until I'm eighteen I'm pretty much their property...or I guess my husbands when I get married in three months." My stomach churned at the thought. For some reason, Lorenzo still wanted to marry me, even after I'd set him on fire. Which only terrified me more.

"Excuse me? You're fifteen, that's messed up."

I shrugged. "Such is life...thanks for stopping by Mei, but you shouldn't do it again, you'll end up getting hurt, my family, they're all monsters..." Tears streamed down my cheeks stinging the few small cuts on my face where my father had struck me in his rage.

Mei dropped onto my bed beside me looking defeated, "you sound like you've already given up."

"Enji was my last hope, he always promised he'd protect me...and he just turned me over to them..." My heart hurt, I felt so betrayed. "I don't know what to do." I cried.