Chapter Seven

~Enji's POV~

When I woke the next morning, I went to check on Enya. Mother and Father got home late they probably wouldn't be awake yet. As soon as they were awake, I planned to talk to father to try and smooth things over so he wouldn't take his anger out on Enya. He'd hoped to use the ball last night as a chance to parade Enya around like a trophy to be won, which sickened me. I was glad I got her out of there early, I just wish it had been under different circumstances.

Her door was locked when I tried to open it. That was odd. I knocked lightly, "Enya, it's me." I called softly. "Are you awak-?"

"Go away." Her voice was quiet and raspy as if she'd been crying for hours.

"Enya? What's wrong?" I knocked again.

"Go away!" She cried.

I stared at the door wide eyed, she rarely ever raised her voice. "Enya, open the door, now." I pleaded.

The door opened and my heart fell as I looked to her busted lip, the fresh bruise forming around her left eye and the dark bruises on her shoulder. Her cheeks were streaked with remnants of tears and her eyes were puffy and red. I'd never expected my father to be angry enough he'd wake her from her bed.

"What-?" I began to ask.

"I want to be left alone." Her deep blue eyes that were always so full of light and life were now dull and lifeless. She closed the door and I heard the lock slide into place.

"Enya." My heart shattered. "Please, don't shut me out." I begged her, "come on, let's go to the archery range, we can play with all the cats, dogs, and chickens."

She didn't answer.

I clenched my fists in anger before calming myself down. I took a seat against the wall across from her door to wait for her to come out. Hours ticked by, breakfast came and went, but Enya wouldn't leave her room. Soon lunchtime rolled around and she still hadn't left.

"Quit coddling her." Mother hissed as she poked her head down the hall, she too must be sporting a bruise of her own as she was wearing more foundation and concealer than usual.

"Did you see what he did to her?" I hissed.

"She should have behaved herself." Mother retorted unsympathetically.

"And you?" I glowered looking to the concealer under her eye.

"I had a little too much to drink, it was my fault." She replied as if this were all completely normal and acceptable.

"Because that makes it okay." I shot sarcastically.

Mother ignored my commentary, "you should get ready, your betrothed is coming over for a lunch date." She smiled and walked away.

"What?!" I snapped.

She didn't answer me.

I glowered after her before turning to look at Enya's door. I got up and moved closer to her door. I couldn't hear any sounds from within her room. Lightly, I knocked again, "Enya?"

Nothing.

"Please, Enya, open the door." I leaned my head against the door praying she'd open up and talk to me.

Nothing.

"Alright...I have to go for a bit, I'll be back. I'll bring you some cocoa and cookies." I hoped by bribing her with sweets she'd say something, anything.